what do you think of the tents with the plastic clips?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: what do you think of the tents with the plastic clips?

Post by rlown »

just pulled the trigger. Christmas in April!
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by ChinMusic »

Take a look at the Nemo Obi 2p.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You obviously missed the point of my thread. plastic clips.. Nemo Obi 2 is suspended by plastic clips.. sucks the large dog IMNSHO.. http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/Disp ... erralID=NA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Mav wrote: "I just called Henry, and they do not upgrade zippers, but the angle of the door
have changed since I bought mine, and the netting should stay more taunt.
So I have a new Rainbow on the way."
Did Henry allow anything (read $$$) for your old Rainbow... a trade-in?
Or is this an entirely new Rainbow...just wondering?
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

rlown wrote:You obviously missed the point of my thread. plastic clips.. Nemo Obi 2 is suspended by plastic clips.. sucks the large dog IMNSHO.. http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/Disp ... erralID=NA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You are correct. I cannot decipher what the TS wants. Read like an opinion. Clips were just one item. Personally I hate sleeves. Replace the dang things with light caribiners if you must.....no big deal. What next? color?

Sorry for giving such........
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

no worries, CM.. I bought the double rainbow already.. and I love sleeves for the pole as it spreads the weight evenly.. The whole tent is spread over the pole and not just at pinpoints where the clips are. not so happy about stakes, but with my current free-standing tent, i still have to stake and put the rocks on her when i'm not in it.

What i love about free-standing tents: you can pick the thing up and shake out all the needles and dirt before packing it up.

Gotta love the off-season.. so much to look at and buy..

REI members 20% off ends 4/10.. just an FYI for those who haven't cashed in yet..
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

rlown wrote:REI members 20% off ends 4/10.. just an FYI for those who haven't cashed in yet..
And with that 20% off I got the Nemo Obi 2p, which will shelter my daughter and me in Yosemite in July.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

very cool. kudos...! =D>
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

my summer and 4 season tents have clips. Never had a failure. Love the speedy setup, and it is tough enough for a real winter shelter that can handle serious wind gusts.

My winter tent sets up from the outside - nothing gets wet. lay it down, stake the corners, put the poles in, clip the tent up, guy it out if it's real windy, done, even when the wind is howling and rain is driving sideways.

I have an older Sierra Designs tent with sleeves for the poles. Never liked that design: when it's raining, you can barely get the poles through the sleeves. While you're fiddling with the sticky wet pole sleeves, the rest of the interior tent gets rained on before you get a chance to throw the rain fly over the whole thing. A fair weather only design, which for a tent is pointless. If it was nice weather all the time, all you'd need is a bug screen.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

fishmonger wrote:my summer and 4 season tents have clips. Never had a failure. Love the speedy setup, and it is tough enough for a real winter shelter that can handle serious wind gusts.

My winter tent sets up from the outside - nothing gets wet. lay it down, stake the corners, put the poles in, clip the tent up, guy it out if it's real windy, done, even when the wind is howling and rain is driving sideways.

I have an older Sierra Designs tent with sleeves for the poles. Never liked that design: when it's raining, you can barely get the poles through the sleeves. While you're fiddling with the sticky wet pole sleeves, the rest of the interior tent gets rained on before you get a chance to throw the rain fly over the whole thing. A fair weather only design, which for a tent is pointless. If it was nice weather all the time, all you'd need is a bug screen.

X2 for clips. Fell in love with them the first time I used them on a friend's tent. Never go back and nevere had a problem. Sleeves are a pain.