Tarptent Advice

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Tarptent Advice

Post by oldranger »

Wandering Daisy hit the nail on the head in noting the issues of width and length. I sent a message to Henry (producer of tarptents) that I would buy a Double RB in a Minute if it was 60 or even 58 inches wide rather 52. His complaint was that over 52 and trekking poles couldn't be used to make it a freestanding tent--About the least important feature of a tent for me and that If he did build a version wider than the double rainbow it would be still wider than 60." Is it only old people that are interested in a wider 2 person tent?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

oldranger wrote: Is it only old people that are interested in a wider 2 person tent?

Mike
Nope!

I'm interested in finding a balance between weight and width/length - the Lunar Duo was of interest to me for a long while, but it's also up there a ways in terms of cost.

I'm also interested in a wider sleeping pad that won't break the bank - I looked at the 25" wide NeoAir Trekker but it is only available in Torso length, and not any better insulation-wise than the NeoAir medium I currently have. I want something 25" wide and 64" long that does not weigh a ton.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote "I've left the sublite staked out and yanked out the trekking
poles, putting them back in when I get back to camp.
Would probably tie the peak up into a tree if the weather looked iffy so water
wouldn't pool in the fabric."
Yeah, that will work, if your below tree line, and not in place like Ionian Basin.
I have seen a guy camping near by leave his tent, taking the poles, and most of
his stuff had gotten soaked, luckily he had put his clothes and sleeping bag in a
garbage bag.
Like mentioned in a previous post, unfortunately there is no perfect tent, but I
would happily pay a premium for one that was.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

In the Ionian basin? I'd probably stuff the tent with everything in it in one of the contractor bags I carry, and weight it with a rock.

:wink:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote "I'd probably stuff the tent with everything in it in one of the
contractor bags I carry, and weight it with a rock."
I would rather prefer to jump into a waiting dry tent, instead of having to take
everything out of a wet bag, set up in the rain, possibly getting some of my
gear/camera equipment wet, especially if I got back in the dark.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

With my original floorless, TT Squall, I learned a few things early on and I see Henry has incorporated them in new versions/styles. More overhang, the bathtub is well within the drip line etc. and has a higher lip so water will not run inside when puddling outside. I use pebbles under the edge of my groundcloth when rain might be expected so it won't be over run and it has become habit to gather some anyway to weigh down the edges of my groundcloth to keep it in place while I set the Squall up and to keep the edges from being blown out of place after my gear has been settled inside. I have had condensation on some occasions, mostly on cool nights and after a rain. The worst was in Oct. in Yosemite after a snowfall/sleet made the ground white, heavy condensation overnight, so much so, my laid out clothes were pretty wet the next morning. Last summer in the Winds, I thought I had set up in an area away from drainage areas that might be affected by heavy rain, wrong. I had condensation the next morning along with the over flowing water inside my Squall. My fleece stuffed pillow was soaked but my bag was dry except for the covering.
Piece of cake.
Clubb
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Clubb »

Im really thinking about pulling the trigger on the Rainbow.

It's roomy, light, affordable, and can be free standing with trek poles. Or you can use trek poles for more support at the center strut.

I saw one review of the Rainbow where someone had trouble with seam sealing. Any of you guys have any problems with the seams?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just as with any sil tent it takes a little time just make sure you get all the seams
including the sides and around the vent.