Stoves

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stoves

Post by rlown »

My Coleman Apollo Exponent stove pump gave out on my last trip 2 weeks ago; Not dead just took like 100 pumps to get pressure.. thought I had it fixed pre-trip. It's a rubber seal in the pump. So, I ordered a whole new pump and then an extra plunger apparatus. The interesting part about the extra plunger is they went back to the leather seal. I didn't take apart the new pump to see what is in that, but, Not a fan of rubber in the pump since Coleman has done leather in all the other products for decades.

Now, I'm ready for September. I was marveling at the canister stoves brought along, but it seems you've boil or off.

Anyway,

Russ
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I'm kind of a stove junkie....not sure why. I have the snowpeak giga and it is pretty awesome for simple summer trips. I have an old coleman cannister as well (never use it). A few years ago picked up the MSR windpro which I bring for larger group hikes and find that it is an excellent stove. My favorite (but heaviest) is the optimus nova (had the newer one with quality control issues and hated it........then did further research and ended up with one of the bullet proof brunton ones).

Ladd
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

trangia pot72.jpg
trangia flashing72.jpg
trangia72.jpg
My alcohol stove system at Scylla Lake in Ionian Basin. It worked like a champ. I carried a quart of denatured alcohol for 14 days the in backcountry. I had a just a little extra left over, maybe enough for 2 or 3 days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Last year I bought a Jetboil Sol with my REI divident and 20 off coupon, did some testing and packed it away. Last week I finally had use for it, and it was amazing how efficient that thing is: 8 days of extra hot beverages (3-4 cups per day) and large warm meals every night, and I used just one 110g canister. This thing heats water very quickly, it starts easily, it can be regulated, and it uses less fuel than anything I've ever used before. The pot/cup is perfectly sized for a solo hiker and it packs down real small. I will be using this stove on all my future solo trips unless snow melting is part of the daily routine.