Shaving weight

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Shaving weight

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote: Any Ideas? Thanks for any feedback.

Mike
I see a Llama in your future. that will reduce your pack weight significantly. :eek:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Russ

No!

1. In my experience llamas are about as stubborn and intractable as I am--not a good mix.

2. I once observed a llama spit what seem to be a quart of spit into the face of an innocent passerby.
I'm not so innocent so I'd be in for worse!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

oldranger wrote:
So I have a question for everyone. It seems to me that the plastizote is likely to collect a lot of dirt if used as a groundsheet. I'm thinking that I ought to roll it out inside the tent to protect the pad and not worry too much about the bottom of the tent. Until I started using downmats I never put a groundsheet under my tents. If placed inside the tent the plastizote stays cleaner and would eliminate the problem of the downmat or any other sleeping pad sliding around in the tent.
Mike

Any Ideas? Thanks for any feedback.

Mike
Mike,
Yes, if you put the plastizone inside the tent, it won't collect dirt. But the bottom of your tent will ? I guess it's pick your poison. Personally, I would put the plastizone under the tent.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Tom, Yes the bottom of the tent will get dirty but the surface is harder/smoother so it can be wiped off from time to time but I would think that dirt could be imbedded in the plastizote and much more difficult to brush off.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Every time I see the title of this thread, I keep wondering why anyone would bring shaving gear along on backpack trips. :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So OR, did you get your new Warmlite? If yes, have your first impressions been?
I need to get a new mat myself, some thing comfy this time.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

maverick

Still waiting

Mike
Mike

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Received new Warmlite downmat.

First impression: sure is orange!

It is coffin shaped and widest point, inflated, is 25 inches and it tapers to about 17 inches at the foot.
Must be made out of spinnaker cloth as it is somewhat crinkly. The bag it comes in is too large for a stuff sack in order to provide sufficient volume to pump it up. It took a while to use the sack to inflate the pad but I'll get better. My main concern is if it will be stable enough for me.

Mike
Mike

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It takes me 29 full breaths to fill my large neo. And the top is blazing Limon (think fluorescent yellow) :)

Take a pic of the thing and post it. The bag inflation mechanism alone should be worth a look. not sure about the "coffin" shape." what are you prepping for?

Russ
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Just saw thermarest has a new new version of the neoair. 70D, weighs about 5 oz more on the regular size, but takes the R-Value from 2.5 to 4.9.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/ ... on/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not exactly shaving weight, but that certainly is a nice product for those colder nights high up.