Shaving weight

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Shaving weight

Post by oldranger »

maverick

Still waiting

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Received new Warmlite downmat.

First impression: sure is orange!

It is coffin shaped and widest point, inflated, is 25 inches and it tapers to about 17 inches at the foot.
Must be made out of spinnaker cloth as it is somewhat crinkly. The bag it comes in is too large for a stuff sack in order to provide sufficient volume to pump it up. It took a while to use the sack to inflate the pad but I'll get better. My main concern is if it will be stable enough for me.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

It takes me 29 full breaths to fill my large neo. And the top is blazing Limon (think fluorescent yellow) :)

Take a pic of the thing and post it. The bag inflation mechanism alone should be worth a look. not sure about the "coffin" shape." what are you prepping for?

Russ
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Just saw thermarest has a new new version of the neoair. 70D, weighs about 5 oz more on the regular size, but takes the R-Value from 2.5 to 4.9.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/ ... on/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not exactly shaving weight, but that certainly is a nice product for those colder nights high up.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Flux,

are you buying one?
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Not sure just yet. I definitely want one of these nice inflatables and promised myself I would keep getting lighter this year (both in the pack and around the waist)

I'd be replacing my prolite plus which is 1lb 8 oz and so I could still save 5 oz and have a thicker, warmer mattress. I bet they go fast on the first production run and I would like to see one first.

My goal was to get below 10lbs on my pack/tent/pad/bag. right now it's closer to 14, but my pack is 6.5 lbs by itself. I just want a lighter setup for those extended weekend trips.