backpacking pots and pans

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: backpacking pots and pans

Post by frediver »

On the subject of pots n pans.
Does anyone here have a complete official "Boy Scout" mess kit they would like to get rid of?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

East Side Hiker wrote:From what I've heard, aluminum cookware is very bad for you. There are so many things to sort out as research results give us more info about how different materials impact us.
That's been debunked, I thought.

I'm sure I'd be dead by now if that were true. My folks had aluminum pots and pans. Besides, hard anodized is quite a bit different than the regular old dent-able soft aluminum pots.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

AlmostThere wrote:
East Side Hiker wrote:From what I've heard, aluminum cookware is very bad for you. There are so many things to sort out as research results give us more info about how different materials impact us.
That's been debunked, I thought.

I'm sure I'd be dead by now if that were true. My folks had aluminum pots and pans. Besides, hard anodized is quite a bit different than the regular old dent-able soft aluminum pots.
Well.. not dead.. just the supposed Alzheimer's link.. Still fry my pork on my great Aunt's old aluminum pan from the 50's.. embrace the chemistry..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:
Well.. not dead.. just the supposed Alzheimer's link.. Still fry my pork on my great Aunt's old aluminum pan from the 50's.. embrace the chemistry..
http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_m ... eimers.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what I meant...

I think things that are truly bad for us are going to be the ones we least suspect. Like all the PTFE loaded items - Goretex, Teflon lined pans, etc.
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by js hill »

Thanks again everyone for your input. I think I'll go weigh my old alumunium pots and see what they weigh. I don't think they are that much heavier than titanium so it may not justify the cost of buying expensive titanium pots. It's been interesting hearing everyones' opinion. Happy trails!