Help me ID old Kelty pack please

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Help me ID old Kelty pack please

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I have this Kelty backpack I bought back in '95. At the time it was greatly discounted and a friend got me an employee discount as well. I was just getting into backpacking and did not know much about gear. Now that I'm learning more, I'm thinking this pack may be more than I need. I'm guessing that it's intended for cross-country skiing or some other specialized use. (It's got two cuffs near the bottom that I think would be used to carry skis.) I also dislike the absence of pouches/pockets on the exterior and all the extra strapping.

The tag has worn out and so I don't know the model name/number. I've done numerous searches, but have come up empty. Can anyone help me ID this thing or at least let me know if this pack is intended for more than just normal backpacking? Help is appreciated. Thanks!
DSC04712.JPG
DSC04713.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Help me ID old Kelty pack please

Post by Hetchy »

What a beauty!
I can't find the exact model but i do see something interesting in your photo.
Those little pockets on the bottom in back sure look like they would accept skis.
I wonder if this is a ski touring pack designed to hold the skis while treversing of climbing snow slopes?
I mean what else would they be for? They aren't iceaxe loops. They definitely aren't drink bottle holders that far back. Maybe they are designed to hold the tail end of Ojibwa style snow shoes...
My vote is they hold the square back end of snow skis.
Other than that I don't see why you can't put this baby to work doing what ever type of back country hike you wish!
My first backpack was a kelty external frame. It survived being mauled by a bear!
Awesome pack and looks like it has a lot of life left in it! :D
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Thanks, Hetchy. Ski touring backpack is my best guess as well. True, it does have lots of life left in it...I've been reading too much about lightweight gear and it's making me reevaluate all my stuff. Better I live in ignorance and enjoy the bliss. :)
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Hetchy »

I only recently converted my strategy to "ultra-light" and only for the specific purpose of long distance hiking under summertime conditions.
If i were to tackle the Sierra in wintertime i assure you i would go right back to my old-school winter hiking strategy and heavier gear.
My 4 lb 0 degree down bag would replace my 1 lb MLD 30 degree Spirit quilt, My 3 lb Choinard Pyramid would replace my 12 ounce home made tarp, and i would need a bigger pack with a better suspension system to carry the extra weight. Kinda like my Old-School Dana Designs or that pack you have there.
If i were to want to hang out at a lake or travel a certain area for an extended period of time I would probably want more than the ulralight gear i carry for thru hikes as well even in summer time.
I can tell you that carrying 10 days of food in a bear can plus all your gear in a framless ultralight pack is painful for the first few days until you begin to eat that weight off.
All this ultralight stuff is really cool and compelling but there is most definitely a tradeoff to be made in strategy, load carrying ability, and sometimes comfort. Some people never find them to be comfortable.
Fortunately companies like Mountain Laurel Designs makes ultralight packs that are as tough as the old school packs but they are still framless and must be carefully loaded to be comfortable and they will never be comfortable beyond their intended weight range.
Some ultra light gear on the market sacrifices strength for lightness. Most of the cottage manufacturers will say upfront.. but as always: you get what you pay for.
I can't tell you what is right for you but it could be you already own the best pack for your intended purpose.
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.