Outershell reccomendations

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Outershell reccomendations

Post by BrianF »

That 1st generation Gore-tex was back in the late 70's and only lasted a year or two, since then I have always been happy with Gore-tex.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I still use a Gore-Tex jacket I bought in 1986 (the red thing i my avatar), but with its liner and outer fabric it's pretty heavy and too warm for those warm summer rains. My Marmot Precip works great for the warm months, and when it gets really cold, I have a Mountain Hardwear FTX Ultra shell - a recent ebay score that needs to be tested yet, but it clearly is more robust than the old jacket and much more durable and warmer than the Precip. Overkill for the summer months.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I too use a Marmot Precip and I am delighted by its performance. I find it very lightweight, yet effective and adaptable. Most recently, in December, I did geologic mapping in the pouring rain using the Precip, plus REI waterproof/breathable rain pants. I did some very high output hiking while getting hammered by the rain and stayed completely dry and comfortable (ie kept rain off but didn't get overheated to sweat and be swamped by condensation). In addition to the lightweight, breathable aspect of this jacket, it also has the vent zips in just the right place to regulate temperature nicely while hiking hard during the rain.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

How does the Marmot Oracle Jacket compare to the PreClip? It's priced higher and weighs a bit more, but does anyone have any experience with one?

Edit: And by the way, since being introduced to it in this thread, I am absolutely addicted to SteepandCheap. My wife thinks I'm nuts for obsessively checking it all day.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:I am absolutely addicted to SteepandCheap..
+1 again.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
CI_Seawolf
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by CI_Seawolf »

I did some research and found a Marmot Aegis Shell at Mountain Gear .com It looks like just the ticket. I'll let you know how it performs. It wasnt bad at $149
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I never see anything at Steep and Cheap that looks like something I would want to use, even if it was 95% off, and I think I check about once a day (right after I check woot.com)

They just had an overweight tent on, and now some hideous sunglasses