Outershell reccomendations | High Sierra Topix  

Outershell reccomendations

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Outershell reccomendations

Postby CI_Seawolf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm looking for a new outershell and dont want something too heavy or too expensive. What is your preferred outershell. Rain/windproof is kind of what i'm after.

CI_Seawolf
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: Outershell reccomendations

Postby rlown » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:09 pm

I bought a Marmot PreCip shell in Sept. Absolutely love it. http://www.rei.com/product/804391
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby oldranger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:42 am

I use the lightest shell I have found with a hood for wind protection. It too is by Marmot but is not waterproof. For rain protection I use a poncho which has also served as a cover for cooking in inclement weather.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby markskor » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Carry a North Face DYAD - light, waterproof, and windproof...hood too.
No insulation, all taped seams...packs away to about the size of a baseball.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Postby Flux » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I hear good things about the marmot precip, price seems right too.

I have a Patagonia Jetstream (bought on sale) which was made of the same materials as their torrentshell, but has a couple more features. It continues to serve me well. not highly breathable, but is light, cuts wind, and is waterproof.

I keep seeing some of these lightweight rain jackets popping up on steapandcheap.com for deep discounts.
Flux
Topix Expert

Postby maverick » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:19 pm

For late spring, summer, and early fall I too use a pancho for rain protection.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby BrianF » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:20 pm

I use an Outdoor Research Foray Parka, So far so good, it has a cool zipper system that allows for poncho-like ventilation. I also have a Marmot Precip anorak that I was hugely dissappointed with. I got caght in a heavy squall hiking out of Cottonwwod basin that lasted about an hour and I was able to wring a good quart of water out of my shirt after. The Precip was not even close to waterproof, it was not the seams either - straight through the fabric. IMHO it is a windbreaker only.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
BrianF
Topix Regular

Postby ERIC » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 am

rlown wrote:I bought a Marmot PreCip shell in Sept. Absolutely love it. http://www.rei.com/product/804391

+1 on the PreCip. Wife and I both have one and are very happy.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Postby BrianF » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:31 pm

I bought my leaky Precip on sale at REI, so maybe it was an early version that has been improved. When manufacturers first came out with 1st generation Gore-tex jackets the Gore-tex had a problem with delaminating and leaking badly. At the store I worked at back then we had so many complaints about it we had a saying- "Gore-tex doesn't just breathe - it sucks".
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
BrianF
Topix Regular

Postby rlown » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:43 pm

I bought what was known as a "Bud Grant" goretex hunting jacket at Cabelas in '90. After 20 years, it's still my "go to" duck hunting jacket. Figure 60 hrs a year with half in full on rain, and only now starting to leak up near the shoulders. It's been washed once a year. It's a great jacket, other than being heavier than humanly possible to take backpacking.

PreCip appeared to have an improvement on the last model, so maybe, Brian, you were the "test batch". I prefer a rainproof shell, as i'm already layered up underneath with fleece, and I find it really, really difficult to fish in the rain in a poncho.

And yes, breathable doesn't necessarily mean breathable for any shell, regardless of the marketing hype. I always get condensation in whatever i'm wearing when i'm hiking.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby BrianF » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:26 pm

That 1st generation Gore-tex was back in the late 70's and only lasted a year or two, since then I have always been happy with Gore-tex.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Postby fishmonger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:26 pm

I still use a Gore-Tex jacket I bought in 1986 (the red thing i my avatar), but with its liner and outer fabric it's pretty heavy and too warm for those warm summer rains. My Marmot Precip works great for the warm months, and when it gets really cold, I have a Mountain Hardwear FTX Ultra shell - a recent ebay score that needs to be tested yet, but it clearly is more robust than the old jacket and much more durable and warmer than the Precip. Overkill for the summer months.
fishmonger
Topix Expert

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix