Home Made Tarp Shelter

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Home Made Tarp Shelter

Post by Hetchy »

I have begun to manufacture my own gear. I started with some rain/wind/cold mittens for the trail. I have progressed to a hybrid tarp shelter. I took the Golite Lair and MLD Patrol shelter designs as inspiration.
The Golite lair was really light and simplebut lacks a beak. The MLD Patrol is light and simple, has a beak, and offers a varible pitch option.
I decided i wanted a combination of those things but also a bit more protection from splash and wind blown rain.
My other requirement was a quick pitch and absolutely no zippers or velcro
Zips and velcro are great unless you plan to live and use them for 5 months on end.. they all break eventually.
I had an MEC 8X10 silnylon tarp to use for material.
I made several paper prototypes until I found basically what I wanted the beaks to look like. Then I cut and sewed the beaks onto my MEC tarp. I took the prototype up to Russian ridge open space and tested it out in the wind. An interesting thing happened.. I learned something.
Simply cutting a notch in the ends of the flat tarp and sewing the beaks on created a shelter that was realtively wind resistant but only within a small range of pitch height. Too low and the walls lost tension and the ridgeline sagged. Too high and the beaks could not be made taught.
I went home and looked at my paper model. With sissors i cut the corners of my model from the tip of the peak to about 16 inches back from each corner.
Anyhow the shape i came up with can be pitched low or high and the panels remain taught.
I am currently awaiting some line locks and lite line which will allow me to vary the tension at each corner and attach lines to the side pullouts.
So below is a picture of my 10 ounce silnylon tarp shelter at skyline ridge OSP today.
For bugs I have a no see um mesh bug bivy and i have sewn a couple of tie outs inside to hang it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Home Made Tarp Shelter

Post by fishmonger »

Here's my DIY tarp shelter - 1981 vintage. It worked well in a 2 day snow storm up there in the French Alps in June, but I must say it is probably the reason why I am using a real tent these days... :unibrow:

Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Home Made Tarp Shelter

Post by Flux »

Super cool Hetchy. I have been researching making my own gear, but my time is limited. I may still sew up a bivy sack and tarp setup yet.

I really dig on the Tarptent stuff too. The rainbow and the moment have caught my eye. I do like the idea of a single pole that can afford you alot of strength. I guess i have a hard time giving up certain comforts like a fully enclosed tent.

Good luck on the AT. I grew up back east and used to hang out in the mountains there, I had the dream of doing it one day, but I got out here now and am happy to hit up my own back yard.