Contoversial Bear Repellant Techniques

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Contoversial Bear Repellant Techniques

Post by AlmostThere »

oldranger wrote:I was taught that when in Alaska you want to make sure that at least one of your companions is slower than you! :D At my age that is hard to do!

Mike
Naw, just take someone older than you. :wink:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

AlmostThere!

At my age it is probably harder to find someone older and slower than younger and slower! The problem is to find someone slower that is still doing what I like to do. I also have to find someone younger and stronger to carry some of my gear. Hmm sounds like I need a full fledged expedition which just isn't my style.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Elevenpaul
Topix Newbie

Post by Elevenpaul »

My First time posting gentlemen. . May I say what good advice I have been following on this posting. I assume you are hoping that us new comers to the trail are listening and you certainly have my attention and the attention of my son. So to summarize and then ask a few questions. Very simply... always carry a cannister.
Ok... Where do we put it at night? Hidden? Fully exposed.? How far from the tent? should we wash it off before bed? Is it safe to walk with open food during the day? Are bears only a threat at night? During dinner preparation do run the risk of a dangerous encounter? Do you guys think that bottled water that has been flavored with iced tea ( to improve flavor) be at risk ? Again we are out here listening and learning from you guys. I love the community that you guys represent and really respect your thoughtfull answers. And finally, I hope that I get a chance to throw rocks at bears too. That sounds like lots of fun. Only kidding!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Welcome to the HST!

Well, here's a good example of Bear safety for Inyo NF.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... 2520Ethics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cannister requirements vary, so check when you apply for your permit.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Oldranger, you just need someone younger and stronger to carry your gear, then give so much to carry that they are slower than you too!
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

For a further nail in the coffin of the mothball idea, here's a bad experience. A few years ago I had two trips back to back, and left the food for the second trip in the trunk of my car up near the lodge at Mammoth. I was worried about a bear break-in and had heard of the mothball idea. What I did was to triple bag the food in three layers of garbage bag. Between the inner two and the outer bag, I put a few mothballs. It may have "worked" for keeping bears away, but the downside became apparent a day out on the trail on the second trip. Most of the dried fruit in particular had a very unappealing mothball odor and taste--never again.

Mike
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I am definitely a bear canister believer. A few other random thoughts

One thing I don't understand is that other big National Parks like Raineer still encourage hanging, providing aluminum hanging polls at their sites. Here's my brother hanging on one at Upper Crystal Lake.
As you can see, my canister is on the ground.
Then again, Raineer has self-composting toilets at their back country sites.

I found the bears in the Marble Mountains particulary keen to avoid people. On two occasions my group of scouts were close enough to smell the bears, but they would not budge out of the brush they were hunkering down in. Perhaps this is because the locals very actively hunt the Marbles and a visible bear quickly becomes bear bacon.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ikan Mas wrote:
I found the bears in the Marble Mountains particulary keen to avoid people. On two occasions my group of scouts were close enough to smell the bears, but they would not budge out of the brush they were hunkering down in. Perhaps this is because the locals very actively hunt the Marbles and a visible bear quickly becomes bear bacon.

yes we hunt it.. they are scared of humans. poles are unnecessary if you have a can. depends on when you are there.. After Sept, It's a hunt.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Here's what happens to habituated bears. 1941, Westfir Oregon. My dearly departed grandfather is the human. This bear wandered into my grandparents front yard. My mother was 3 and my Aunt 2. Kind of disconcerting to have bears where toddlers were playing. I doubt there was much discussion about what needed to be done back then and nothing went to waste.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ikan Mas wrote:I doubt there was much discussion about what needed to be done back then and nothing went to waste.
Still isn't much discussion about what has to be done with habituated bears: http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2011/06/2 ... is-obispo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;