Bearvault Update

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bearvault Update

Post by Allyn »

Saw this post over on the Whitney Portal site and thought it may be useful information for those who cruise this site as well. Looks like a new and improved version is coming out sometime this month with upgrades for existing units to follow:

"We expect to have new models available in stores by the end of May. These new models are 2% larger in volume (the diameter is the same, but the length has increased by .2"). They are also 3 ounces heavier due to a heavier lid design. The new lid is designed to be easier to shut and open and it sports a large decal on the lid explaining its operation. There will be a textured area to show the user where to press with his/her finger. The lid is made in a fully automatic mold, so there will be no variations in parameters from lid to lid.

The new lid is not compatible with current models. Once we get the new models shipping, we will offer some kind of upgrade program TBD which will reflect the fact that currently the existing models are still approved in all areas except the Rae Lakes drainage basin. This means only those users who will be hiking in that area with a Bearvault are currently affected. The current Rae Lakes limitations also may change to reflect specific models. We will post to this forum when we have more information on this issue, which will be towards the end of May.

We will update our web site once the new models are shipping.

The SIBBG status of the earlier models has not changed since August; the official link is
http://www.sierrawildbear.net/foodstora ... ainers.htm

Jamie"
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Funny. Last year on Backpacker.com the owner or spokesman was getting upset because people were having trouble opening the lid and he was telling them that they weren't following directions or something along that line and that it wasn't the procedure or the product that was an issue. If folks are having an issue, you try to fix it and they weren't admitting anything. Looks like they finally reacted though it may have been more with bears compromising the canister than any goodwill on there part. That's good though, quite a few people like them. As for me, I'll give my Ursack TKO upgrade a try this summer.

Happy trails
Piece of cake.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Actually I have found the owners to be very curteous and responsive. On another post in the same thread, they indicated that although the break-ins seemed to be issues with people not putting the lid on right, they felt they should change the lid to make it easier to put on without hassles. I see it that they are taking the right action instead of a reaction.

Happy trails to you too.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

HikerDuane, I think we might have been discussing the Bear Vault on our snowcamp trip. I remember mentioning to someone how difficult it is to open, and that I wouldn't want to try to open it with gloved or numb hands! Hopefully the modification helps.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

The guy was getting a little upset with folks, I'm not going there to dredge up a link. You know how folks can rub a little salt in a wound online. It is good though that they are doing something.

Trekker, we did discuss that among other things. Seems bpers always talk about gear. What were we talking about when imploding came up? It was funny. Those people coming up from the lodge added to the experience.
Piece of cake.