Cell phone doubles as a sat phone...

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Cell phone doubles as a sat phone...

Post by The Other Tom »

...looks like ATT is trying to solve some of their connection issues. This may make an interesting backcountry "companion"
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/p ... hone_N.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cell phone doubles as a sat phone...

Post by rlown »

I'm not exactly sure why someone wants that much connectivity in the backcountry. I go to detach; not to trail-text..
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Well, in fairness, that would be a pretty great alternative to a SPOT (Which I just started using this week).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I actually like the SPOT concept. Not a two-way device, yet. I have a rule in the car when i go backpacking. All Cells off when i hit 395.. Too far to fix anything at home, and for the next week, I'm in my own little world.

I appluad those who solo and carry the SPOT as a safety valve. a two-way device would ruin that experience, IMHO. Although, I did get a call from someone at Island pass requesting a new rod tip guide for his pole after he broke it. :retard:
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

rayfound wrote:Well, in fairness, that would be a pretty great alternative to a SPOT (Which I just started using this week).
Yeah, that's what I thought. IF (and that's a big if :) ) I got one I'd only use it for an emergency. I'd keep it off most of the time, maybe daily texting my position to my wife back home. Of course, there are others who would gab all the time, ruining the backcountry experience.....
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ

Thanks for blabbing about my excessive use of my cell phone. :o Did save the day for me, though. I carried it because I needed to be able to contact my wife when I got to Tuolumne Meadows. Then I realized there were several places on my route that had line of sight with Mammoth Mt. which I assumed had a cell receiver/transmitter. Normally I don't take cell and just use Spot to let her know I am ok when hiking solo or meeting up with a bunch of old farts that drink a lot in the backcountry! :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I mentioned no name.. I'm thinking you blabbed on yourself. Still, I like your SPOT, when solo. As I choose not to travel solo, I like no contact with those outside my Sierra experience, other than those who I might meet. That includes updates to people back home. I leave a copy of the permit, and tell them not to call until 2 days after i'm due out. Just my rule. If i'm dead, they can't help, and i'm pretty sure i wouldn't care at that point about wasting SAR resources.