Hammock

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hammock

Post by AlmostThere »

I use underquilts or pads. It depends. If I think I might have to sleep on the ground (or pretend to, anyway) I take pads and use them in the hammock when I can. Usually a NeoAir and a thin foam pad that I also use as a sit pad or to keep the NeoAir from sliding around. In the hammock the foam pad goes under my head/shoulders sideways.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some examples of underquilt - there are several other vendors that make very nice ones in various lengths.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ok.. I've never used a hammock. I've no clue what they might be other than stringed from tree to tree. I don't get that option alot in the Sierra were i go..

So, why would one want one, and why above treeline?

A tent sounds so much easier..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If you're happy with a tent, be happy.

I am saying that FOR ME I cannot sleep on the ground. I have tried and tried. I wake up and toss and turn and cannot sleep. I have spent many nights trying this year. I just completed four nights above 10k on the ground and probably slept maybe four hours a night.

If I have a hammock I am warmer, cleaner, and happier. I could have hammocked three of the four nights as there were sufficient pines in all but one spot.

There are many people who hammock because of physical issues and pick destinations based on whether they can hang the hammock because they CANNOT sleep on the ground. I don't have physical issues; I just don't sleep well on the ground and very much dislike hiking multi-day outings with so little sleep I can't function.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Does anyone go backpacking with a dog (small-mid), if yes, where does it sleep? Does
it sleep under you if it is a mid to larger size dog, and with you inside the hammock
like in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcZlq_O-hxY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You know your dog. It's comfort zone. you make arrangements for the dog. It's OK and you compensate if it's different.

The dog comes first as it didn't have a choice being out there.

Russ

PS: regardless of hammock.
jeepmannva
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by jeepmannva »

Under my hammock on a small pad. Too big to fit in the hammock with me.
SouthMark
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hammock

Post by SouthMark »

I have two dogs that I take with me. They both sleep on a pad under me. I have been using a hammock for 8 years in all kinds of weather. The coldest that I have used mine was 2 degrees in 35-40 mph winds and deep snow. Was cozy and warm. I camped that night with two guys that had just returned from Ely, MN where the used their hammocks down to -27 degrees. Both my dogs gave insulated vests that they sleep in as well.