Bilgy vs. Tent vs. Tarp help

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
fish4gold
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bilgy vs. Tent vs. Tarp help

Post by fish4gold »

I have been looking at the idea of using a tarp or tarp + Bivy Combo. I have a bivy, but last spring realized that if I needed to cook in a shelter, or change cloths, I was out of luck. Fortunately the nasty weather wasn't constant so it worked out okay. A tarp would be a lightweight addition to a bivy and could even make a common area between 2 bivys if somebody came with me. But, in looking at tarps, I came across this cool looking thing called a bilgy. See;

http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns ... ARP%20TENT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is light but multi-functional. So here are 2 questions that I could really use some help with.
1) has anybody used a Bilgy, and how did it preform in nasty weather?
2) What size of tarp goes good with a bivy (i.e. 3x6, 5x8, 8x10).
I have search past posts, but didn't find the answers I was really looking for. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bilgy vs. Tent vs. Tarp help

Post by copeg »

No direct experience, but the design looks very similar to the original 'Henry Shires Tarptent'. Its a great design, but like any tarp shelter requires a bit more thought with regards to location, and in my experience wind protection requires proper setup and predictable winds (I've spent my fair share of cold nights from unpredictable winds in shelters like this - but this is more of an issue at high altitudes above treeline)...all this is not direct experience with this shelter though.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Looks like it takes a lot of real estate to set up. The pictures of the product are in a city park, not the Sierra, so buyer beware.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
fish4gold
Topix Regular

Post by fish4gold »

Thank you Copeg and Freestone! I didn't think about wind direction, and I usually am above timberline. I get the feeling that it would be best to do the tarp + Bivy. What size of tarp would be large enough for cooking and cloths changing, but not take up too much real estate? Thanks again!
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

I have never owned a truetarp tent before, but I am intrigued be the rave reviews they receive, notably Tarptent and Gossamer Gear products. I only use one trekking pole so I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I go with Hilleberg (Akto) because they are four season, have a pole, and do not need seam sealing, but by today's standards considered old school. I use mine as a tarp tent by removing the inner tent and using only the outer tent and the manufacturer's groundcloth. The Light Heart design looks interesting and Gossamer is coming out with a design that is almost identical in concept, so I think the tarptent concept will continue to evolve for the better.

http://lightheartgear.com/solo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
copeg

Post by copeg »

freestone wrote: I go with Hilleberg (Akto) because they are four season, have a pole, and do not need seam sealing, but by today's standards considered old school.
I love my Akto...a solid tent to say the least.

With a bivy and tarp, I'd say you could go with a fairly small tarp, even perhaps a poncho/tarp to serve a dual purpose (this assuming your bivy is at least water resistant). But this of course depends upon how much room you really want. It can be pitched in all sorts of ways (depending upon the weather) - A frame, lean to, etc... - to suit your needs and having the extra protection from the bivy will help against the 'splash factor' (rain splashing in from underneath). In my experience even a small tarp provides a surprising amount of room underneath if pitched properly, but keep in mind it could require a bit more attendance in changing weather conditions and site selection.
fish4gold
Topix Regular

Post by fish4gold »

Thanks for the help! That Akto is really cool!!!!! But, ouch the price!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

thought i'd add a "cheery" thought on what a tarp can do for you. This was a pic from last sept after hiking through 85 degree temps to get to the site, the weather turned, well, bad. This is the true aspect of a tarp. she's zip tied on the side.

As the snow fell, it compressed enough to dawn a cap with a bill to keep breathing space for us.. two in the tarp.. I like to call it the burrito. 2" that night, so not a blow-out, but we were cozy. 4 buxx.
P9290054.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.