Looking for the lightest sleeping bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Looking for the lightest sleeping bag

Post by rayfound »

Well, I use a MUUUUUCH cheaper, less awesome bag than the WM... I picked up the LaFuma Warm n' Light 800g bag... its fine for me... rated for 30 and as I generally sleep in fleece pants, socks, and a shirt or jacket.... I am sure I would be comfy in it down to the rated temperature, given that I use a tent. I've been close to that number.

That being said... the one thing that bugs me is that its tight. I'm a tosser/turner/side/stomach sleeper, so a tight bag is tough for me. if you are a lay-down and sleep on your back type, a tight bag is probably OK. For me, what I found was that with as snug bag, I have to consider it more of a piece of clothing than a sleeping bag. and have the bag rotate with me, not me inside the bag. A couple benadryl before bed helps a bunch too!

so, I guess what I am saying, is that one of the ways that bags are made lighter without sacrificing warmth is to just plain make the bags smaller... so if size/comfort is an issue to you, as others have said, make and effort to "try on" any bag you're thinking of. I am sure everyone would trade a couple ounces in the pack for a better nights sleep.

This is all the more important when buying the higher-end bags... you could spend well over $300 on some of the nicest bags, and finding out its not comfortable for you would be a huge drag (as opposed to me spending $96 and being willing to deal with what I get, because at that price/weight... there aren't many options)