Eagle Claw rod return

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Eagle Claw rod return

Post by markskor »

Got a small problem that perplexes me. I have always used Eagle Claw Trailmaster rods - last 25 years exclusively; I recently snapped (where it shouldn't) my best Graphite Trailmaster III rod and so I sent it back in for a free (actually $15 shipping) replacement,...maybe I should just post a copy of my letter to Eagle Claw to explain further...

Eagle Claw 10/12/09
I got a question or three about my new Trailmaster rod and Eagle Claw policy in general.
I had sent in my (handle -? - snapped at Saddlebag Lake), 7 ½-foot, Graphite Trailmaster III, 4-piece rod (black), returning it back to Boulder, taking advantage of your generous and well-publicized, “lifetime” replacement policy-
and you readily complied. Kudos to You!

However, today, when I finally got around to opening/ inspecting your “new” model sent, I find a new, yellow, Composite, 7 ½-foot rod instead of my original graphite…says light- combination, 7 ½-foot, Trailmaster, 2 –8 wt, max ¼ oz lure, (TM-L76SF4) and seems well enough made… but the kicker is that the reel attachment, screw–down ring thing (slot) is too narrow to accommodate my trusty Penn 420SS reel. There are a few work-arounds; I could file down my reel a tad and it should/might just fit, but should I bother/risk damaging such a fine reel. (Coincidently, this same reel fits nicely in all my other Trailmasters.) I could file away/Dremel the reel handle base, perhaps sacrificing the rod’s integrity …or, I could just send it back and ask for a different rod, but is that asking too much?

I hate to **** as I have fished the Eagle Claw Trailmaster model rods - (have six) - exclusively for the past 25 years, but this new rod you sent as a replacement seems a lot lighter than the broken rod I sent in originally….maybe I am wrong but I think I would prefer something a tad sturdier than this “Ultralight”, preferably an improved, regular, 4-piece, Trailmaster III, backpacking rod in graphite as originally purchased...and, more specifically, a rod model capable of securely capturing my Penn reel sans any extraneous modifications. I admit that I do fish a good amount, mostly spinners…like throwing bigger, 3/8oz(+) lures, probably am a little hard on gear, and do delight in fishing the high lakes, thus I need a sturdy, dependable, backpacking, High Sierra, fishing rig. After doing the miles, rod breakage is not acceptable… 25 miles in.
In the past, I have always relied proudly on Trailmaster rods, touting their utility to everyone. The rod sent/in question was my favorite, go-to rod. What would you do? I would even gladly offer to make up the difference to get the rod I need. Help!
(BTW, what are your thoughts about Graphite vs. Composite?)

Mark aka markskor HighSierraTopix.com

They refuse to answer my letter - sent twice too. What should I do? Anybody used/tried this new Trailmaster rod model?
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Eagle Claw rod return

Post by rlown »

markskor wrote:They refuse to answer my letter - sent twice too. What should I do? Anybody used/tried this new Trailmaster rod model?
Mark
Maybe just call them? I generally get better service from a call vs a letter. But, a nice letter, indeed. I think the rod seat change would bug me large. Don't file the Penn! It should fit or they should tell you that it wont beforehand.

Personally, i prefer berkley 6' IM6 2 piece rods, and cheap is ok as they generally get strapped onto the pack without protection. Lasted well for me; but that's just me.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Mark,

Eagle Claw did eventually reply in our case (Judy broke her rod tip off in some brush) after Judy got a hold of them by phone, and we received the replacement tip section (for $15), and we also simply ordered two brand new 6'6" TM III's (4 piece) given the difficulty we've had in obtaining the rods at our usual local spots that seem to have had trouble stocking the rods the past year and a half. The two new TM III's will be first for 7-year-old Lee, who is ready to move up to the 6'6" rod (commonly borrows mine when he's not happy with the shorter casting distance of his 5' two piece rod), with the next one reserved for 4-year-old Dawn when she gets old enough to handle a full size rod.

Cheers,

John
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Called them 2 more times - never got a human human voice, recording: "In these busy times, bla, bla, bla...Just leave a message and we will get back to you ASAP"...,
message also sent again to e-mail address, (three times total).
Not one answer back - yet,
still waiting but losing hope.
And, in the past, I always liked Eagle Claw's Service too...disappointed.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Since it is slow, and I started it, thought it fair to say all is resolved and am looking forward to using my new 7 1/2 foot Eagle Claw Trailmaster III rod next season.
Thought you might like the following: Customer relations still excellent!

Subject: Re: replacement rod?

Dear Mark,
I am really sorry that you have not received a response in your earlier attempts. I just received this email this morning and I definitely want to resolve your question.
I want to let you know that we have replaced your old model Trailmaster with the newest technology that we have for making the ultimate travel rod. The new blank is constructed starting with IM-7 Graphite for power, sensitivity and incredible feel. I've then added a little S-Glass for the durability that is required of a travel rod designed to take years of use in the field like the Trailmaster.
In addition to the new blank design I have dramatically upgraded components like the cork handles guides and the reel seats. Your question about the reel seats is not an easy one to resolve. Some reels, especially those with a graphite frame or stem and some older models do have a thicker foot that may make it harder to fit in the new aluminum reel seat. However, all of the ones that I tested were able to fit. I'm not sure if I can resolve this part for you.
The bottom line is that you have received the newest and most advanced
Trailmaster rod ever made. Most of our customers that have received these have been very happy with the upgrade and I want you to be happy also. I don't think we have any of the older models left but if you could call
Matt at 720-941-8718, I will ask him to look for you. I have to leave today on a trip out of the country so I won't be available for about 10 days. In the meantime, I know Matt will work hard to make you happy.
Thank you again for being a loyal Wright & McGill customer, we appreciate your business!!
Sincerely,

Al Noraker
Wright & McGill Co.
Denver, Co.

Al,
Thanks for the belated albeit slightly overdue response.
The rod/reel seating question turned out to be an easy solve after all. It turns out that you had (somehow...oops!) forgotten to include the larger, reel-holding, forged, round ring on my rod...only had the two, screw rings to hold the reel on. (As I have 6 other Trailmaster rods), all it took was unscrewing the cork holder on the new rod and adding one of my older holders - works fine now.
I am still a bit apprehensive about the lighter weight of this new rod though. I am very impressed that you gave me your latest and best Trailmaster model...looking forward to years of service...I do backpack a lot...~ 45 nights/year and go far and deep...Old School.

In many High Sierra lakes often frequented, I often throw larger spinners and spoons, up to 3/8 oz, (Z-rays and WyldEdge) under the theory of larger lures, larger fish. I look forward to much more of this tactic as it seems to work...(6-pound 'Bow, multiple 20-inch lunkers this past summer - High Yosemite, 25 miles in), but this new Trailmaster says: lures - max 1/4 oz. Do I need to take a second rod/only use smaller lures? - What are your feelings about spoons going "slightly" over the stated rod limit?

Anyway, I will leave you with my respect and continued Trailmaster use...Thanks for any effort in trying to make things right.
Mark Papanek
- aka markskor (HighSierraTopix.com)

Subject: Re: replacement rod?

Mark
Thanks for getting back to me and I'm happy to hear that you are ready to roll.
Trust the rod and use the larger lures, I often do myself with great results.
The blank is powerful and will perform well for you.
Good fishing!
Al Noraker
Wright & McGill co.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

He sounds like a nice guy, too bad all customer service depts don't have someone like that. I just worked out a problem with a guy this week on a flyrod that I sent back on an exchange. He had left two messages on the machine but I couldn't even understand what he was saying. Finnally was home when he called again and after to many tims of "what did you say" he is sending a new rod ](*,)
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My friend lost his rod tip section on a St. Croix 4wt fly rod at Hanging Basket lake. We tried for about a very cold hour to get it back, but it was too deep. He's very lucky i didn't take any pictures. :lol:

They replaced it for free (other than shipping the second section out for fitting). Still a great deal.

If you buy the best, you generally get great support.

If anyone finds the rod tip near the outlet of hanging basket near the big rock to the NW, he'd like it back. :)