creek fording strategies

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: creek fording strategies

Post by SSSdave »

Since I bought a pair of these lightweight 9 ounce waders a few years ago creek crossing below thigh depth has become fast and simple:

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keeps my boots and pants dry. After use they hang off the back of my pack and quickly air dry. Make sure the size bought fits over one's boots. These are only to be used infrequently as they are certain to puncture if one wears them too often. One needs to be careful to not walk on sharp rocks like rough granite bedrock or other objects that might puncture the rubber. I only use them infrequently for crossing streams or occassionally wading into lakes and streams for photos and give them a leak test before trips.
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: creek fording strategies

Post by cmon4day »

I use a water shoe made by Salomon. It also serves as my camp shoe. Pretty light weight, dries fast, and has a descent sole for tripping around camp.