creek fording strategies

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

creek fording strategies

Post by paul »

On my last trip I had my first creek ford after about a week. Wearing trail running shoes, I just ploughed through, then changed to dry socks on the other side and kept going. the result - the shoes held enough water to soak my dry socks pretty quick and then I got blisters (small but troublesome) - after having had no foot problems up to that point. So I'm re-thinking my fording strategy, nad looking for input on what everyone else does. I know I could carry Crocs or water shoes, but I'm looking for lighter options. For those who have had success just ploughing through in trail runners without stopping or changing socks, what kind of socks do you wear?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: creek fording strategies

Post by The Other Tom »

Can't get much lighter than Crocs. I have a pair but haven't tried them for water crossings. I'm afraid they'd be too slippery, but I'd like to hear from those who have used them.
What about barefoot ?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I have some croc knock-off that actually include a bungie cord lace to hold them on your feet. I love them for this kind of thing, and they weigh about 10 oz. And we love wearing them around camp--they keep your feet more or less clean, but are a very light and easy-on-your-feet alternative to hiking boots.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

a barefoot crossing is really hard on your feet if you mess up and stub something. I had good luck with Teva sandals, though they're heavier than river shoe slip-ons (usually carry those anyway for the wader shoes as they're light). I did try using a spare pair of wooly socks once. Good grip on slippery rocks, but still the stub factor there, depending on the depth.

First thing we do regardless if we make it to the other side, is to dry our feet. make sure they're really dry before the boots go back on. My feet are blister prone anyway, but wetness is my enemy.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I found some water shoes at WalMart a couple years ago that have been great. They look like tennis shoes but have bungy laces and soles that are made out of some kind of foam like materiel (kind of like flip-flops only much stiffer) and wiegh only a couple oz each. I carbiner them to my pack by the heel loops. They were marked down for end of the season clearence from something like $14 to $4. I bought a pair each for the wife and I but they are about worn out. I will gladly pay full price for a couple more pair if I ever see them again.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I carry tevas when I know I'll be doing a lot of crossings, but I have also used the old
insole in the sock trick also and then put on a spare pair of socks on the other side.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

The Other Tom wrote:Can't get much lighter than Crocs. I have a pair but haven't tried them for water crossings. I'm afraid they'd be too slippery, but I'd like to hear from those who have used them.
What about barefoot ?

much lighter than crocks, pack much better and are tough enough for more than one Muir Trail with a lot of wet crossings (I think we used them about 20 times this July)

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

weight? For my size 11 100 grams, or 3.5 oz for the pair.

I used to go barefoot, but these made even the roughest crossings quite comfortable. They are great backup shoes, too, even though I doubt they'd last more than 10 miles.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Nottinz clogs are supposedly lighter than Crocs, and are pretty much the same animal. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but figured I throw that out there since it is a weight savings over Crocs.

Perhaps some sort of neoprene bootie/sock is what you're after? Kind of like a wetsuit sock?

I recently purchased a pair of Vibram FiveFingers (cue the laughter). While slightly heavier than Crocs (funny looking and more expensive, too), I figure they're a better option for traction in the water and in case I should ever need to hike in them. They sure are comfortable.

EDIT: I also found these:

http://firstrespondernetwork.com/items/ ... detail.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://firstrespondernetwork.com/items/ ... detail.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

+1 on the low cut tennis shoe idea...I buy the cheapest (and lightest) "swap meet" specials I can find.
While they usually only last one season or so... at ~$10.00 - who cares.
Worn sans socks, they are good for fishing too as I am constantly in and out of the water.
Mountainman who swims with trout
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cvr »

I use my Reef (the classic Smoothy model) flip flops for river crossings. Living at the beach, I basically were flip flops all the time other than at work, so maybe they feel more natural to me than they may for others. They are my camp shoe of choice, so the fact that they can be used for double duty is nice.

The Reef Smoothys are relativley sturdy, they dry quickly, they don't gain much if any weight when wet and they weigh only 8oz when dry in size 10. A newer pair with a new sole is surprisingly grippy. I just take it slow and with the help of a walking stick, I have never had a problem.