Buying Ursack

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Buying Ursack

Post by rayfound »

Is there anywhere to buy (like somewhere I could drive to, not a website) a Ursack besides from Ursack direct? I just read that the Ursack's are legal in regulated areas of Inyo NF, as the reg now reads "Bear Resistant Containers".

Thanks,

Ray
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Buying Ursack

Post by paul »

I would clarify that with an Inyo NF ranger before assuming that is correct. It does seem like their wording leaves room for an Ursack, but that may not be the way the rule is being enforced.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Concur with Paul about the FS regulations. Check the ursack website. They list a few retail outlets, but not many to choose from
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I would think twice about purchasing an Ursack if you are expecting to use it legally at many locations. Since Usack just lost its court case it is likely that the local Sierra agencies will get tougher on them. I have 4 Ursack bags with 2 aluminum inserts as I tried to keep up with the changing designs and administrative decisions. I like the Idea of them but acknowledge that they are much more prone to user error than my Bearicade. Also it was never clear to me that they could resist the chewing of little critters (squirrels and marmots) that have always been a bigger problem for me than bears.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Thanks guys, I had seen that thing on their site, but thought maybe there was more retailers (dumb I guess). I would want to see/touch one of these things before I bought one. I'm still yet to go anywhere that requires bearcans, but Today I looked at a BV500 at REI, and I just can't get over how enormous those things are... ahh well, it will probably wait until I go somewhere its required.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

The Bearikade will be my Christmas present - the volume is better for the weight. I go into the Sierras 95% of the time. They have a great rental program, they'll mail the canister to you a few days before your trip and only charge you for the actual dates of your outing.

They are indeed a big chunk of real estate, but remember you don't have to store just food inside them. As they empty you can put other things inside with the food.

I know a lot of people like the Ursack, but I will either hang food or take the canister - even if I go where the bears aren't a problem, the raccoons and mice generally step in where they leave off.