Footprint, yes or no?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Footprint, yes or no?

Post by rayfound »

So... I just became the joint owner of a Sierra Designs Sirius 3, and it came with a footprint (It doesn't come standard, but did come with what we bought on Steep and Cheep - back when they used to sell actual outdoors gear, not watches, man-purses, Luggage, and sunglasses).

I've never used a footprint before, and I'm not really sure as to what advantage there is to carrying the extra weight. I'm heading out next weekend and I am not sure if I want to take it or not.

What do you guys do? Leave it home or take it along?
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Footprint, yes or no?

Post by cvr »

I have never used a footprint with any tent I have owned. I currently use an '05 (maybe '04) Sierra Designs Lightning. It logs 20+ days in the backcountry each season and shows very little wear on the bottom. Somewhat careful site selection (although not obsessivley so) and quick removal of large twigs and rocks is all the effort I have ever put forth.

I say, save the weight and leave the footprint at home...instead, bring along extra fishing gear or libation. :drinkers:
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

I have a Sirius 2 and don't use a footprint. I've also ditched some stakes, the guy-lines, tags and everything else I could to drop a couple of ounces.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I've never taken mine along eaither, so far I've seen no damage to the floor.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Regarding whether a footprint is needed...RE: floor damage - yes or no...debatable. While I eschew the "store bought" type...(I feel it is too expensive and always way too heavy), I always do take along a 2 ml plastic footprint sheet for my tent (a TT Rainbow).
I usually find that my groundsheet bottom (the footprint), in the morning, is regularly damp and muddy - an overnight ground water barrier/collector, and it is so much easier to pack up a dry tent and hang the groundsheet to dry, then wait for the tent to dry ( if without one) before packing up. The plastic sheet is always the last thing added to my "now-ready" packed backpack.
Thus, I use the footprint primarily as a time-saver, (saves 1/2 hour), rather than a tent-bottom protector.
Mountainman who swims with trout
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Rarely use one for my Hilleberg. If I plan to sleep out under the stars or under a tarp, which is quite dependent upon the conditions, I'll bring one along in the form of a pre-cut 2mil painters cloth. Otherwise I normally leave it at home.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I've heard the foot prints are too heavy, I save the weight and money and just use some polycryo plastic or my heavier Tyvek piece when weight doesn't matter. Last week on my trip, the coated nylon piece I have had for a long time came in handy and was sturdy when settin up over rocks that were unavoidable as that was the only place to set up before the rain kicked in harder.
Piece of cake.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Perhaps more answers found here........
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I never used a footprint until I started using insulated air mattresses. Now I do to reduce the odds of a puncture.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Exactly what Eric said. I've got the Sirius 2 and have done away with all extra cords and stuff sacks. The matching footprint from Sierra Designs weighs 10 ounces. In about 30 nights in the tent, only once did I wish I had brought it, when I camped in a clearing that would become a large puddle by the next morning. A bit of water seeped through the bottom of my tent and robbed me of an hour or two of sleep.