Better Hip Belt Buckle System?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Grzldvt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Better Hip Belt Buckle System?

Post by Grzldvt »

I have a Dana Terraplane pack and like everything about it except the hip belt buckle system. I get it cinched up, and it seems to slowly loosen up. In some cases within ten minutes the belt has loosened and the pack has slipped down.
It is a simple click-in and tighten. Is anyone aware of any replacement belt buckle system that might work?
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Re: Better Hip Belt Buckle System?

Post by markorr »

I had this problem on my Bora after several years of use. I found that scrubbing all the dirt out of the webbing helped some, but eventually I replaced the buckle, the old one was just worn down and didn't bite as well. Does your pack have a hip belt under the bonnet? If so and it fits try swapping out that buckle for the one on your main pack. Once I did that I contacted Arc' teryx and they sent me a new buckle sans $$

Mark
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JosiahSpurr »

(Fourteen years later...) Where can I buy a hip belt for external frame backpacks?

My Kelty external frame is always taken on overnight trips. It has a quick-release hip belt that never loosens. Says, "KELTY PACK, INC. SUN VALLEY, CA". The left side has a flat metal piece with a hook that is fixed on the end of the belt.

The right side has a roller on a center pin attached to a quick-release handle. The roller has a bunch of sharp edges on one side that grip the belt on the right side. When the handle is raised, the sharp edges that bite the belt are rotated away from the belt, and the belt easily slides through the buckle.

Here's a pick of the belt style buckle on my other ex. frame, "WILDERNESS EXPERIENCE, CHATSWORTH CALIFORNIA." How can I put a Kelty quick-release on this pack? (Ty)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

If you are still ok with the current belt I would think something like one of these would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Relea ... B0761PH5CJ

https://www.rei.com/product/850234/sea- ... air-buckle
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Thank you (!)