Ground sheets, what do you use?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Ground sheets, what do you use?

Post by gary c. »

I've never used a footprint for my tents either for the same reasons as fishmonger stated. So far I've gotten a lot of use out my tents with no problems so I won't feel bad about having to replace one if something major does happen. My only real concern is the eventual wear to the bottoms of my tents. Small poke holes can be repaired but I have yet to even get one of those. This weekend will be the first time I'll use a footprint and that is because I'm taking my 11yr old grandson. I'm afraid his answer to feeling a stick under the tent will be to stomp it down rather than reach under and remove it :retard:
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Just throw the Tyvek into the washer a few times and it will soften up, I have
used the same one for about 7 yrs or more.
If you choose a rock and branch free tent site than it is unnecessary, but I
some times eat an early dinner and hike till almost sunset and do not want to
look around for a clean debris free site in the dark, so it comes in handy for
my style.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

I use plastic sheeting - not the really thick stuff nor the thin stuff but suitably resistant to punctures - 2 mil? I set up whichever tent I'm using at the time and draw the outline on the plastic sheet with a Sharpie and then cut it out. I used Tyvek for awhile but when it finally became soft, it also became a dirt and twig magnet - not to mention the non-subdued white shade it came in...
I feel better putting plastic under the tent floor to give extra puncture and wear resistance since I don't always completely police the area for sharp items.

Alan
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I like to save my gear as much as I can, which is why I use a gc, however, with my Squall, it is the floor as I have the floorless model. The only thing I don't like about it, is you have to place stones all around the edges to keep it in place, even after the shelter is set up. When you buy the polycryo, it comes packed two. Be warned, it may not be for everyone, but if trying to shave those few oz. here and there, it is the ticket.

Tyvek isn't that light, I compared my TarpTent supplied, cut to fit piece to my green ground cloth with grommets and it was only a couple oz. lighter. If I cut the green gc cloth down and cut the rivets off, if might be lighter then the Tyvek.
Piece of cake.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

The Other Tom wrote:
fishmonger wrote:am I the only one who just uses the tent, without additional footprint? I figure I paid for a waterproof tent floor and lightweight tent, why should I haul some additional plastic around?
My worry has always been that a rock/twig, etc will puncture a hole in my waterproof tent floor. I assume that's not happened to you ?
well, the old Sierra Designs Meteor Light never had a problem, and the first one I used for 10 seasons, about 150 nights in the Sierra, and at least half of them without the poncho under it.

Now I have a $$$ Big Agnes Copper Spur and am having second thoughts about the floor, as it is much thinner material. Dunno if I'll add a few ounces to the pack to have peace of mind, or just go for it. Patch kits weigh almost as much as the ground cover, I guess. I'm definitely not buying the official ground cover from Big Agnes, as it completely negates the weight savings over the old tent.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

I use my rain poncho as a ground sheet. One piece of equipment serves two purposes :)
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I'm another one of those who doesn't use one. I've had a Sierra Designs Orion since 1998 and I estimate it's had 200 nights all over the Sierra, Pt. Reyes, the redwoods, etc. without a leak. The only problem I ever had was while I was down at the beach at Coast Camp at Pt. Reyes watching the sunset and a raccoon chewed through the mosquito netting. (I still don't know why since the only things in the tent were my sleeping bag, pad, a notebook, and a wool sweater.) Sierra Designs fixed the mosquito netting under warranty.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

I want to thank everyone for their input. In the past I almost always used a sheet of plastic. I double checked the weight of the Footprint and the "average" weight is about 13ozs. It really does end up making an ultra-light tent not so ultra-light. So I'm going back to 3mil thick plastic. Again, I appreciate all of the discussion and suggestions. js hill
Charles2
Topix Acquainted

Post by Charles2 »

You can purchase a light weight Tyvek (about 1.3 oz per sq. yd.) from most suppliers of kite making materials. I have a 24" by 72" ground sheet made of this that goes under where I lay in my tent. It weighs 1.7 oz and is not stiff and crinkly.