Toe Socks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Toe Socks

Post by Hetchy »

Yes, I said Toe Socks.
Injinji Toe socks to be exact.
I have been putting in the miles training in them. At first I was skeptical. I mean they look, comically, like a Monty Python prop. These are socks that are shaped for feet, they way wool gloves are for hands.
I have given them a shot.
In 200 miles of training hikes they have proved to be useful in two ways:
1. The spaces between my toes are friction free.
2. They mitigate the wetness of sweaty feet, particularly between the toes.

This has always been a frustrating problem for me. My fourth toe has always tended to roll under my middle toe, and when pushing hard I get a little blister there.
The Toe socks eliminate this problem.
There actually does seem to be some beneficial "wicking" action going on between the toes as well.
Dryer is always better in my book.
The only downside I have seen is durability. Granted, they are lightweight socks. But I have noticed some pilling of the material under my arch after 200 miles.
My guess is that they might last 400 miles a pair.
The real advantage is that the space between my toes stay very much dryer and there is zero skin friction between the toes.
I have left them on for three days at a stretch.
I have only laundered them twice, in the sink.
They still retain their resiliance and only show minor abrasion under the pressure points of my foot.
If you have bad feet they might be of help.
It only took me one day(slept in them) to get used to them and now they feet no different than regular socks.
The one caveat that only affects those NON-solo.. They look pretty dorky. :retard:
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Toe Socks

Post by gary c. »

I've never worn a pair but I have a buddy that sometimes gets blisters between his toes. It might not be bad for him to try.
Hetchy wrote: In 200 miles of training hikes
I have left them on for three days at a stretch.
I have only laundered them twice, in the sink.
Makes my eyes water just thinking about that :tear:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I'm a fan of the injinjis too and could have written that exact same post - same toe problem (fourth rubbing against middle, causing blisters) and durability issues (I burned a pair that got holes in the sole in a campfire on the HST last summer - no way I was going to carry out all 2 oz of a useless pair of socks :\). They pair well with the lightweight trailrunners I like to wear and they were the last piece of my 'foot puzzle' - I seem to have finally figured out the perfect set of equipment and foot treatment.
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Post by markorr »

Hetchy wrote:My fourth toe has always tended to roll under my middle toe, and when pushing hard I get a little blister there.
The Toe socks eliminate this problem.
I have the same problem and I keep meaning to ask a doctor to cut that toe off (who needs 5 toes?). Looks like REI sells them. Thanks for the suggestion!
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Post by markorr »

I'm returning my wool ones. wore them for 2 days in the Trinity Alps. when they were wet they stretched enough on the downhills that it felt like I had razor blades between my toes. hope they work better for other people but I'm going back to taping