What does your pack weigh?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What does your pack weigh?

Post by AlmostThere »

Weight isn't irrelevant to everyone. It's broken some of the newbies in the hiking group to the point that they never came hiking with us again.

Of course, despite the warnings they took all that stuff anyway. I've only had to carry people's junk three times, the rest of the time the person has this dogged "I'm gonna carry it" sort of thing going on. Feeling like a success is a big deal to most noobs, and spending a sleepless night in pain ain't success. So they are very likely to move on to other things they can succeed in after failing, which has been the pattern.

I've also hiked with guys who bound up talus fields with 70 lbs on their back. Not everyone can do that! I can't, and don't want to!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Weight is also relevent to older folks and small folks. We who collect social security and have our free park pass (lucky us!) probably would not be out there today if our packs weighed what they did in the 1970's. I could no way do the kind of trips I do (see my report on Ionian Basin) if I had to carry a 50 pound pack! If I were to hike in on a trail and base-camp, maybe the 50-60 pounds and all the luxuries would be OK. But if I really want to see a lot of country, be out 10-12 days, and do a lot of off-trail travel, over class 2-3 passes, I have to cut back on the weight. A 60-pound pack is more than half my body weight! Ouch!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Wandering Daisy wrote: I have to cut back on the weight. A 60-pound pack is more than half my body weight! Ouch!

I'd have to carry 100 pounds to be at about half body weight.

smaller people carry smaller ground pads, smaller tents, smaller shoes, smaller clothes, smaller food rations, smaller packs, smaller cameras :unibrow: and smaller amounts of sun tan lotion. Smaller pots and less fuel to cook the smaller rations.

so that should be about 20 pounds you save right there :^o
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

fishmonger wrote:
smaller people carry smaller ground pads, smaller tents, smaller shoes, smaller clothes, smaller food rations, smaller packs, smaller cameras :unibrow: and smaller amounts of sun tan lotion. Smaller pots and less fuel to cook the smaller rations.

so that should be about 20 pounds you save right there :^o
Uh huh.

:rolleyes:

*Informed* smaller people carry less gear. If I were the rude sort I'd have taken pictures of some of the "my pack is bigger than me!" people I've seen. Not climbers, either.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Here's the dirty little secret of backpack gear. If you are "average", meaning average size man, say 5' 11'', then the gear fits! If you are x-tall or x-large- guess what? You get to squeeze into stuff. If you are small, guess what? They figure you will fit into it anyway, so just put up with that length you do not need. There is not a tent out there that actually is designed to fit me. My tent is exactly the same as the tent a 6'5" guy would use. No weight savings there. My bear can weighs as much. My stove weighs as much. My sleeping bag still is too big, even if it is a "short". Granted, sleeping bags are getting better at offering many sizes. Trekking poles?- the same as the tall guy. The weight savings I get from my minimal clothing is on the oder of ounces, not pounds. As for food- I have no extra fat to live off! I actually eat way more than my husband, who outweighs me be a lot. Lori has it right- it is not that my clothes are smaller- it is that I bring less.

So fess up. Your pack weighs 50 pounds because you have chosen camp luxuries over comfort and efficiency on the trail. That is always the trade-off. It is your "style" of backpacking, not safety or appropriate comfort or weather conditions, that result in the heavy pack. I am not knocking that style, if that pleases you and if you are young enough, big enough and strong enough to carry it. It is just NOT a necessity. It is good to realize it is not a necessity, because then when you get older, kids grown so you do not have to carry thier stuff, those bad knees come to roost, etc. -- then, you can appropriately cut down on the weight so you can keep on backpacking! By the time I am 80 years old, my pack may just have to weigh no more than 10 pounds!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I'm happy to fess up, if Fishmonger isn't. :) But really, for me it's a trade-off of one type of comfort for another. It's worth the extra strain on the trail for me. And I kind of like the idea that I'm still carrying a 45 - 50 pound pack (that's with food, canister and water) in my 50's, and still doing major mileage each day. This way, when I finally see the ultra-light light, just think, backpacking will suddenly seem so easy!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

didn't see that :^o ?

interesting how much people get out of shape about this silly topic. It's completely irrelevant to me what others do, as I know what I can carry, and I work on weight where I can. Heck, I ditched that water filter 3 years ago, the Spot is going in the trash this winter, too. There's all this stuff they want to sell you that will make it safer or easier to hike, but in the end, you carry what you choose to carry, and in most cases you will make it back home. Some carry less because they feel it makes the trip more enjoyable, others carry more because they feel it makes the trip more enjoyable. All depends on the parts of the trip you value more. If carrying a pack is something you absolutely hate, the excercise part is too much for you, obviously you'll carry some flimsy nylon wrap called UL pack, hoping it holds together. It'll make your trip easier and that's what it is all about. I am lucky to say that I never really felt that carrying a pack up a mountain bothered me - I actually enjoy the excercise, something I don't get in this flat place I live in. So I pack a few things that others would not bring, such as 6 - 8 pounds of camera gear and a real tent and a real thick heavy fleece jacket, because I need a decent pillow as I sleep on my side, and the inflatable crap I tested never worked as well. So there's half a pound I could save, but I know from experience that sleeping comfortably is worth the weight.

Anyway, do what you feel is right. Most of us on this board have been at this for a long time and we probably won't change our approach dramatically just because somebody else tells me that their way of doing it is better.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I have never been trying to change anyone's preference for their particular "style" of backpacking. Not to beat a dead horse- there is no right or wrong style. Some on this forum ARE trying to change their style by reducing their pack weight. My main point is that safety and comfort are NOT directly related to a heavier pack or all the extra items of gear that have come out in the last few years. SPOT and GPS may actually make backpacking less safe on the whole, because it enables a portion (the idiots) of the backpack community to subustitue these gagets for real experience and competance.

Backpacking always boils down to balancing your "needs" vs "wants". At some point we have to just say "no". The necessary minimum "kit" is also different for each person. Every backpacker's gear basket is evolving as new stuff comes out , they gain experience and their personal goals change. My personal "style" is not totally compatible with untra-light, but I certainly can adopt some of thier "style", or at least be open to giving it a try. However, my old Kelty "load hauler" is still in my closet, and I pull this out and use it when others with me (ie kids who are rough on light gear or an old friend who's disabilities require me to carry most of the gear) or my recreational goals (ie climbing), require a shift in "style". But my "light style" kit is no less safe or appropriate for conditions than my "heavy style" kit.

You all can have the last word on this thread. I rest my case. Time to sign the peace treaty!
cherron
Topix Acquainted

Post by cherron »

I am with you W.D. "Style" of hiking, as you mention, is different for everyone and can influence the weight of a pack. I like your philosphy about having a 10 lb pack in your golden years! I have seen some eighty somethings out there with pretty light packs, and also some pretty heavy ones including two brothers (79 & 81) Each had load hauler old school packs, with a slab of wood on each one for cutting fish! They were crusty ol' guys but not less happy on the trail, even though they could only go about 5 miles a day. They were northbound on the JMT going up Pinchot Pass.
To each his own, I suppose, but I kind of invision myself at that age, tripping along with a rucksack, a hiking pole and not a care in the world! I 'll leave the butcher block at home!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

This thread was never meant to be a pissing contest on weight reduction. I was just interested in what different people heft along for whatever reason. There were a few great ideas on reducing weight along the way, but it still boils down to personal preference.

The weight of the pack doesn't matter as long as you're happy to be out there and carrying what you will.
SDC12469.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.