What does your pack weigh?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What does your pack weigh?

Post by rlown »

ndwoods wrote:Base weight for 9 days is 12 lbs. Add food and a quart of water and it's about 32 lbs at start...
Can you elaborate on your "Base weight" gear?

Russ
Baffman
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Baffman »

I just read several reviews for the Steripen Adventurer UV light water purifier. Most were very negative, high failure rates. I almost ordered one until I read the reviews. Has anyone else used one and have some comments? I'd sure like to leave the filter at home, but I really don't want to do the chemical thing. I might though.

Baff
tpdwr
Topix Novice

Post by tpdwr »

My pack weight is 20-23 pounds no food or water. This weight varies depending on whether I'm taking my chair, an extra fuel canister, book or maybe campshoes. My food works out to 1.5 pounds per day so I can expect to start out at around 33 to 35 pounds with a quart of water.
Don Raether
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Baffman wrote: just read several reviews for the Steripen Adventurer UV light water purifier. Most were very negative, high failure rates. I almost ordered one until I read the reviews.
The only problem i see (other than the reviews you mentioned) with steripen is that my hiking bladder is embedded in my pack, and my filter doubles as a pump to fill it without opening my pack.

I did the pill thing for years, but i never got used to the taste.

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Baffman

I have been using it for the past several years and have to say I like it but it is not all
ways reliable.
There are times that it will not work especially in the mornings even though I take
out the batteries overnight, which I keep with me in my sleeping bag.
Then after a few hours it works so who knows what's going on with it.
Fortunately I only filter water at high usage areas other wise it would be a hassle.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Baffman wrote:I just read several reviews for the Steripen Adventurer UV light water purifier. Most were very negative, high failure rates. I almost ordered one until I read the reviews. Has anyone else used one and have some comments? I'd sure like to leave the filter at home, but I really don't want to do the chemical thing. I might though.

Baff
I used the steripen on one trip a few years back. It died on me within the first 24 hrs. My back-up batteries were useless. The catch here was that the temps were cold (late november). I did warm the batteries in my down jacket...still no luck in getting the thing to work longer than 10 sec. As a last effort I slept with my batteries beside me in my toasty bag and tried it again in the morning...no luck. I returned it the day after I came home from the trip. Your mileage may vary
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

OK. That's pretty much what I've been reading in reviews. I'm disappointed, but not as much as if I had bought one!

Thanks.
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Well, I had the priveledge of seeing Markskor's pack last summer and yes, it weighs what it weighs.

I try to go light but I sleep really cold so I have a 3 lb Antelope WM bag. I also sleep in a 1 lb hammock with a Z-rest so I'm hanging out in the universe a bit more than most, although most of my friends just sleep on a Tyvek ground cloth and are cozy in their bags that are half the wt. I like my 5 X 8 Sil Tarp for rain or if it's really cold. I can't sacrifice my camera gear - I already left my gal bladder at a hospital. I don't know if my nickle plated titanium hip weighs more than the original but it sure works better. And when the plastic surgeon tossed a quivering blob of silicon on his desk to show what they'd substitute for my cancerous breast, the first thing I asked was how much it weighed (not quite as much as my hammock). ](*,) And of course, I'm thinking weight when I bring the 151 and leave the water filter AND bear can. I try to go where they are not required and just take an Ursack or 2 (ounces not lbs). I got some Teva-looking sandals at KMART that weigh about 5 ounces per pair. I didn't like my husband's frameless Santa Claus sack pack that arrived in a manilla envelope and weighed enough to be mailed with a few stamps - wasn't comfortable with all my stuff. I like my 3 lb Osprey Aether 60 but it's worn out. I think the lightest I've gone is 37 lbs for 9 days. I always tell my clients that backpacking is an opportunity to discover your priorities. And so it is.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Just got back from a trip to Europe...so I have some catching up to do:

Here's the list I saw...and how our's is different

Kelty Tioga 5500 (pack) 86 -- we use Eureka 5000, from Walmart, under $60., 56 ounces
Stove (coleman exponent) 19 -- MSR Pocket Rocket, $39, 3 ounces
Thermarest 40 --foam pad, 8 ounces. cheap
REI sleeping bag (10 degree) 53
Tarp and stuff to make a tent 28
GSI Lexan coffee press (14 oz) 15 --nope.
Fishing gear (two rods), gear for both fly and spinning 80 --fly fishing, one rod. 30 ounces.
Fuel ( 2 bottles white gas) 40 -- our fuel is much less than this, about 16 ounces for two cans.
Water (with electrolyte) varies on path. Bladder system up top in the pack. 40
Clothes (synth long underwear, extra shorts, shirt, socks) 16
RainGear 56 -- lightweight jacket from COlumbia, 8 ounces.
Hats (beanie for sleeping, normal hat) 7
Bear Canister (Garcia 812) 44
Food (sans bear canister 16 oz per day usually minus one day for fish) 120
Bacardi 151 (lighter and used for mix) 40 -- nope.
Pots (one 2 quart and one frying pan) 23 -- one aluminum pot, 30 ys old from Goodwill. 6 ounces
Cups and utensils (lexan) 9
Extra Poly Bottles (2 usually) 8
Filter Pump 15
Extra daypack 15
tennis shoes (I like to get out of my boots) 30 -- nope--maybe flipflops
Camera (hp R927) 11
GPS/radio (rhino 530) 11 -- nope
Batteries (extra) 8 --nope
Sundries (meds) 4 --we take more here...wife wants lotion!

Sum in Ounces 818 --difference, 274 ounces. And we didn't spend more money.
Sum in Pounds 51.125-- that's 17 pounds lighter.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

[I always tell my clients that backpacking is an opportunity to discover your priorities. And so it is.[/quote]

GREAT line. Thanks.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963