What does your pack weigh?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: What does your pack weigh?

Post by hikin_jim »

One of my goals has been to get my pack weight down to about 1/8th of my body weight. I weigh in at about 200 lbs, so 1/8th of my body weight is about 25 lbs. A 25 lbs pack for me is really nice. The 25 lbs included fuel, food, and 1 liter of water.

This is a photo of me from about a week ago:

Important gear components:
Backpack: Golite Pinnacle, Medium (33oz)
Sleeping bag: Western Mountaineering Summerlite, 32F rating (19oz)
Pad: NeoAir 3/4 length (13oz)
Stove: Caldera Cone with 10-12 stove and MSR Titan Kettle (12oz?) -- need to re-weigh this. :o
Shelter: Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape (11 oz) + Ti stakes (3 oz)

Camping at 10,500 feet:

My stove system:

The view from my camp site:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

Too much! But so far, I don't care...

Daypack with camera gear...25 pounds

Backpack with camera gear...45-50 pounds

(including water...2 quarts and one pint...and food.)
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

On my recent 7 day trip to Kern River, I started with 37 lbs which included a liter of water, bear canister, 7 days food, and about 3 pounds of fishing and camera gear. I am always tweaking to save a little weight, but I don't think I will ever get down to 1/8 of body weight for a trip. And I pack to enjoy myself in my own way. How many days was your trip, Jim?

I looked at the Pinnacle, but I just did not think it had the support for 35 pound and > loads. I use the Go-Lite Odyssey, Lg size, and I have carried it with a large bear can and 12 days of food. I have beat it up pretty good the last several years, and my top lid unraveled on my last trip. So I am going to buy a Go-Lite Quest, which is about 6 ounces lighter, and basically the same pack without the bottom compartment. Then I can use that for shorter trips, and interchange the top lid when I need the extra volume provided by the Odyssey for a longer trip.

Regards, nice pics. Is that the Mt. San Gorgonio trail you are on? I climbed it about 30 years ago.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Currently about 10-11lbs baseweight for a typical sunny summer Sierra weekend. Looking to switch to a quilt will shave 3/4 of a lb. Maybe switch packs to a HMG Windrider. Pulled the aluminum stay out of my ULA Circuit for a trip this weekend to see if I actually notice a difference.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

My pack typically weighs 28 to 45 pounds depending on the number of days (2 to 6 days are my range for backpacking trips) and the conditions.

That 45 pound pack in the early season when I have to carry snow gear and warmer clothing is tough, but it makes the 30 pound pack feel great later in the season.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

For 20 years my pack weighed 50+ pounds for a typical three day/two night summer trip. Back then I would usually hike with a group for a few miles off trail to our favorite spot along Dinkey Creek (below the lakes) and day hike up and down the canyon or up to Dinkey Dome. When it was time to replace my old boy scout era external frame pack (the nylon bag was disintegrating) I started checking out some lighter options.

Last summer my pack weighed 18 pounds with a 7 day resupply at Muir Trail Ranch. This doesn't include water (there is plenty of water along the JMT, I usually averaged about a 1/2 liter). I tried to go as light as possible while still staying safe, comfortable and dry. I had a complete first aid/repair kit, SPOT II, warm down jacket, 20 degree sleeping bag/quilt, inflatable sleeping pad and rain gear.

I carried some homemade gear including a cuben fiber internal frame backpack modelled after a Gossamer Gear Gorilla (11 oz), pack cover (0.5 oz), 20 degree quilt (17.5 oz), bivy (3.9 oz), windshirt (2.8 oz), cuben fiber rain parka (2 oz) and rain chaps/pants (0.8 oz). It was mid September so I used a Zpacks cuben fiber tarp (3.5 oz) for shelter, Kookabay inflatable sleeping pad (5.5 oz) and xl inflateable pillow (2.2 oz).

For anyone interested in more details here's a link to my JMT gear list:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -list.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When hiking with my wife this summer I carried 20 pounds for a four day/three night trip. That included a Big Sky Evo 2 person double wall free standing tent, food for both of us and Neo-Air sleeping pads.

Going lightweight made all the difference while going up the big passess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

hikerchick395 wrote:Too much! But so far, I don't care...

Daypack with camera gear...25 pounds

Backpack with camera gear...45-50 pounds

(including water...2 quarts and one pint...and food.)
hehe - my packs are 7 pounds and 6 pounds respectively - when empty :D

when loaded, I carry between 38 and 40 pounds before food and water in summer, about 10-15 pounds more in winter, depending on the mode of transport.

I do care about reducing pack weight where I can, but I have spent enough time on the mountain to know that **** happens, and my gear is usually dialed in to deal with those worst case scenario events. I've had my share of "once in 20 year storms" to learn the hard way what works and what doesn't.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I must say 40 pounds before food and water, for the summer, is on the heavy side. I too have spent a lot of time in the mountains in foul weather, and also in the Rockies, with really foul weather. I regularly do long trips, up to 30 days at a stretch. I often camp at 11,000 to 12,000 feet elevation. So I do not feel I am "sandbagging" conditions.

I do see more weight if you add lots of fishing gear, climbing gear, camera gear or electronic gagets, other optional "fun stuff" or optional "comfort" stuff. Nothing "wrong" per se with this "style" of backpacking. I have had 40 pound base weight myself, when I have done alpine technical climbing in the Sierra. But for simple backpacking, I personally find I enjoy it more with a lighter pack. But saying that you "need" 40 pounds just to deal with Sierra weather June through Sept, or to be comfortable in foul weather, even when it snows, is what I disagree with.

I have settled into the "light" catagory. My total "base weight" on my back including the pack, crocks, bear can, camera and 10F deg sleeping bag is about 20 pounds. (I do not count my hiking shirt, pants, hat, shoes and trekking poles since they are never on my back - they all total about 5 pounds). I doubt I will ever get to the ultra-light catagory (they regularly have a 10-12 pound base weight).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I actually added a 2lb tarptent, reduced the weight of my pad and bag, and it doesn't matter. 52 lbs.. Water is only carried when needed. Food is the major variable depending on whether guaranteed to catch fish or not. That may sound funny, but we're not always that good at catching fish when we need them. Even opted for Via instead of a press and a lb of Peets coffee last trip.. still 52lbs. Even in the coldest parts of my Sept trip, I wore all my clothes. If it were any colder, I would get in the tent.

The only blessing is that the food disappears over time and gives you the illusion that you planned well.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Yeah, I am impressed too by Fishmonger (and now, Russ too). I'm at about 32 pounds before food and water and most people think I'm crazy. But while I'm happy to deal with all sort of mayhem on the trail (or, more likely, off the trail), I like my comforts when I get to camp. A nice thick air mattress and a condominium of a tent are things I just wouldn't want to do without, and it's well worth the weight for me. So is a monster pack, which has the padding I need and I don't have to hook all manner of things on to the outside of it and feel like a traveling salesman plying samples.