Show your Can!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Show your Can!

Post by xshift28x »

working in a metal fabrication shop, I will be fabricating two bear canisters for my upcoming trek to duck lake and ram lake. I will be posting some pictures when they are done.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

xshift28x wrote:working in a metal fabrication shop, I will be fabricating two bear canisters for my upcoming trek to duck lake and ram lake. I will be posting some pictures when they are done.
Remember that some areas require the use of an approved bear can. Nice that you can build one, but depending on the area, It might not be allowed.
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted

Post by xshift28x »

yea after posting I thought about that, thanks for the heads up though.....I decided to rent one for our trek next weekend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It's been almost a year since anyone has shown their can; decorated or not. Any of the new members care to share? I slapped a DU sticker and a DFG support your warden sticker on mine since last shared. Looking for a few more meaningful stickers before I share it again.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

so.. no one decorates their cans? or cares to share?
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

oldranger wrote:Image
Click on photo for better resolution
Mike
Wow, I know this was posted eons ago, but I somehow missed it. GREAT PHOTO MIKE! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
flyfisher70
Topix Acquainted

Post by flyfisher70 »

Sorry for resurrecting such an old post. What size is the Bearikade in this photo?

I trying to shed some weight on the canister, I currently have a big heavy Garcia and was really interested in purchasing the Bearikade just debating on which size to get. Thanks for any info.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

This is not an old post.. this is an ongoing thread where we like to see how people decorate their cans. I believe Mark's can is a weekender, but he can correct me. You can custom order any size bearikade from wild ideas. I did a custom which fits my lower pack compartment nicely.

http://www.wild-ideas.net/custom-bearikades/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Russ
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Here's my new can, "tastefully"(?) decorated with red reflective tape and a sticker acknowledging my favorite highway. I'm not a big fan of bear cans, due to their extra weight, but I guess its a necessary evil.

Last edited by Fly Guy Dave on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Need to slap an HST sticker on that bad boy! :)