REVIEW: Mobile Crossing GPS PDA's

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

GPS gizmos

Post by gdurkee »

Eric:

Sorry for the delay. Although I had some configuration problems related to the com port, I eventually got it working fine (with both ArcPad & a GPS utility). No problems since. Over on the ArcPad forum, there's some discussion about com port conflicts with more than one Bluetooth device (hmmm, maybe it's the Axim forum...). I'd actually like to try hooking a BT digital camera in -- ArcPad allows that. According to the folks on the ArcPad forum though, there's still some glitches and not too many compatible cameras.

The Waypoint looks extremely cool -- when I win the lottery, I'll buy all these gizmos and compare them. And the Tablet PC!! Gotta go buy some lottery tickets for sure. Too heavy to backpack with, but I'd looked into those a few years back to record data for road patrol (MVAs, EMS stuff & other forms we use). Some Ambulance companies use them. Not sure if any police depts. do, but it would make sense.

Have you used either Memory Map or Backcountry Navigator for mapping software? Both look good (and cheaper than ArcPad) -- maybe BC Navigator better??

g.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: GPS gizmos

Post by ERIC »

gdurkee wrote: Have you used either Memory Map or Backcountry Navigator for mapping software? Both look good (and cheaper than ArcPad) -- maybe BC Navigator better??
No, I haven't used any of those... Any experience? I'd love some detailed insight!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix