Need Help Picking a New Sleeping Bag | High Sierra Topix  

Need Help Picking a New Sleeping Bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Need Help Picking a New Sleeping Bag

Postby rightstar76 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:23 am

I bought a men's North Face Cat's Meow at REI and I'm finding that around 5 am I wake up with my feet freezing. It seems there's very little fill down there. I like to sleep without socks on only wearing them when it's really cold. I would like some suggestions on what other bags are out there that are still light but do a better job keeping the feet warm. Thanks.

rightstar76
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Re: Need Help Picking a New Sleeping Bag

Postby trav867 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:40 pm

I have a kelty light year 25 and when nights dip below freezing, I usually wake up with cold feet. I like the weight of the bag so I usually push the temperature rating on it at the beginning and end of the season. I've tried a bunch of different things to keep my feet warm. I now carry some clean wool socks to sleep in, but hand warmers also do the trick. On cold nights, I open one up and put it in a sock or cap and shove it down near my feet. Usually it's still warm by morning. I'm sure a bottle of hot water would do about the same thing. I've also put my feet into a stuff sack and that will warm them up very quickly, though it may get a little damp.
trav867
Topix Regular

Re: Need Help Picking a New Sleeping Bag

Postby rightstar76 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. After returning my North Face Cat's Meow, I tried out a REI Kilo Flash +40 degree sleeping bag. I used a REI standard blue foam pad long 75 x 24 x 0.38 inches. The temperature got down to 40 degrees that night. Unlike the North Face Cat's Meow, my feet were actually warmer. However, the rest of my body was colder. Since I like to sleep with only my underwear, this bag will not work for September and October when temperatures are colder. I'd have to wear clothing inside. So I'm going to return it and get a Marmot Pinnacle instead.
rightstar76
Topix Regular

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix