MSR Hyperflow

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: MSR Hyperflow

Post by gary c. »

BSquared wrote:I think I'll hang on to my Sweetwater and try to find the 4 oz. somewhere. else.

-B²
I agree with DN about waiting for them to work the bugs. Mine has worked without any problems so far except that it has gotten a little harder to pump. I don't know why some people have problems and some don't but if the company gets everything straightened out it's a great filter.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I've used mine on four hikes and worked flawlessly. Beginning to worry after reading all the other people who have had problems.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Over on thelightweightbackpacker, they are saying the first filters had defective elements and to send them back. The good ones work as advertised.
Piece of cake.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I called today and had them send me the "new filter" at no charge. My older one that I purchased in July '08 has worked so far but with all that I've read I'm changing to the newer one.

LB
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

DriveFly44 wrote:I called today and had them send me the "new filter" at no charge. My older one that I purchased in July '08 has worked so far but with all that I've read I'm changing to the newer one.
LB
I just called MSR and all that I had to do was give them the seriel number off my current filter and they said the new one is in the mail. Here is a link to the MSR website with a breif explanation and phone number.
Gary C.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-tre ... n/category" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

gary c. wrote:
I just called MSR and all that I had to do was give them the seriel number off my current filter and they said the new one is in the mail. Here is a link to the MSR website with a breif explanation and phone number.
Gary C.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-tre ... n/category" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll have to see - never really had flow issues with the filter in the proper direction until it got clogged, however, it was and still is pretty much impossible to backflush the thing, which is why it didn't last. Maybe that's what they have fixed.
LostHiker
Topix Novice

Post by LostHiker »

I have one trip under my belt with the HyperFlow with no issues. Two more trips are coming up (one in mid September, 1 in the beginning of October). I was a little nervous about purchasing it due to the clogging problems that have been reported by lots of users. I watched the videos and read the directions from cover to cover as well. I did several practice runs at the house until i felt comfortable with back flushing the filter.

Operation in the field was flawless. I was able to fill 2 - 100oz Camelbak bladders, 2 - 32oz Nalgene bottle and 1 - 6 liter MSR Dromedary bag on each of the 3 days. I flushed the unit twice during each of the times that I pumped water. I was previously using a MSR Miniworks and IMHO the HyperFlow is far superior. Sure back flushing is a bit of a pain, but I was able to fill all of my water containers in about half the time. I did purchase an extra filter and the maintenance kit (just in case).

In October one of my buddies will have his MSR MicroWorks EX. We will do a head to head test to see if it is really faster with all of maintenance involved with the HyperFlow.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You're making me glad I wasn't an early adopter. Think I'll stick with the Hiker Pro for a while longer.

Any filter can be ruined by freezing, btw. I put mine in a ziploc in the footbox of my quilt on freezing nights.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

just a followup on my second Muir Trail with the Hyperflow

we used it maybe three times between Yosemite Valley and Lake T Edison, where I sat down to do a back flush while waiting for the ferry. Well, don't do the flushing thing near moving water. After fiddling with the thing for half an hour of constant air locks, I lost one of the valves. That was that. My Hyperflow with more or less new filter went into the trash at VVR and we did the rest of the Muir Trail without any filtering or treatment. Drink smart, go light.

I'm so done with water filters - nothing beats a cup of fresh Sierra water taken at the right place: