If you snowcamp, what tent do you use?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I kinda have my sights set on a SD Solomente. Just over 3 lbs., with a vestibule, free standing, $329. Last years model was the Solomente AST. If my 3 season tent can take high winds, something made for 4 seasons should be great. I still have a little time to think this out somemore. I'm going thru my local, small town dealer to buy it if they can order one at the upcoming show later in Feb. My old SD Halfmoon is still going strong and SD replaced my fly some years back when the old fly started leaking a little. All I wanted was to have the old fly recoated but I got a brand new one with nary a word on my part. When the group I bp with, goes snowshoeing, they put some miles in on a snowshoe trip. We went up into Lassen Park last winter and snowshoed around 4 miles, 2 by how the crow flies according to their GPS's. Then there was Lake Winnemucca in Dec. thru the 2 feet of fresh snow coming out.

Thanks
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I picked up a Black Diamond Hilight, weight 2 lbs., 10 oz., using my small REI dividend and the 20% off one item special, plus had it shipped to the Reno REI to save shipping since I am thru Reno every week anyway and it can't be sold in CA. I had it set up in my living room for a whole day, while trying to decide if I wanted to keep it. I had a long review typed last night but I lost my connection and didn't copy my page, so I'll write a short version tonight. First, it isn't fun or quick to set up, at least for the first time. I thought it would be nice having to crawl inside, where you could get out of any rain or snow to insert the poles in snaps at the corners but you need a good grip to put the other end of the pole in the other snap as they call it. I can't see women having an easy time of this. When the three poles are in place they form a small area on the roof whick looks like it will pool water up. Onward. Seam sealing. What. A. Job. I spent 4 hours I bet sealing all the exterior seams and putting a grid on the floor.

The Hilight is a little heavier than the OneShot which I would have liked to have had, but the OneShot was a little too short and narrow at 36" high and 36" wide I believe. I have been in short narrow shelters before and they are not fun when wet or have condensation on the inside. I would really have liked to have purchased a high end 4 season tent but I have only had the need for one once in all the time I have been snow camping. Up to the last couple winters, I always went by myself. The Hilight will be used during the shoulder seasons and during good weather in the winter. It should stand up to heavy snowfall and high winds as one of our group on a trip over a year ago in Dec. had a BD Firstlight I believe it was and it did great in a 2' snowfall over night and very high winds. I'm sure with the high winds the snow couldn't accumulate on its roof.
Piece of cake.
Wanderer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Wanderer »

Hi Duane, don't know if you noticed since we were camped off to the side aways, but Songbyrd & I both had Bibler I tents set up. I didn't have a vestibule with me on the New Years trip, but have since added one. I've now had my Bibler 4 or 5 years - still one of my favorite pieces of gear. If you're still considering it as a 4 season bomb-proof tent, it gets my vote!
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I didn't go over and look at them, but now that you mention it you did have the Bibler tents.

I am really disappointed with my BD Hilight now. I took the thing down and weighed it over the weekend which I should have done before I set it up and seam sealed it then powdered the floor grid I put on. It weights 3lbs. 8.5 ozs. now. Not happy for what I thought would be a great tent for cooler weather light rain if any, light weight.
Piece of cake.
StumbleBum
Topix Acquainted

Post by StumbleBum »

Integral Designs MK 3. Similar in design to a Bibler.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

StumbleBum, as most that were listed in earlier posts, they are a little bit more than I want to spend. Thank you for your choice. I would lean that way, I noticed my earlier leanings toward the SD Solomente have changed and it is no longer offered I see. I told the small engine shop yesterday where I picked up a part for my wood splitter, that I should have gotten a newer chain saw and made a little money selling firewood then picked up a tent and by then maybe something else would have come along. Like I thought the BD Hilight was it. :crybaby:
Piece of cake.
StumbleBum
Topix Acquainted

Post by StumbleBum »

Duane, yes it is a bit pricey - especially at the list price. I got lucky and found it on a really good sale, about 35% off... wouldn't have gone for it otherwise.

I have been very happy with it - of course it's heavier than I would like, but aren't they all. :\ It really keeps the weather out, is very stable even in lots of wind, and is quick and easy to put up/take down.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

The tents that have been mentioned through out this thread are not all inclusive, but cover many good choices. Can't really go wrong with any I don't think, comes down to cost, weight, dimensions and how difficult you think it might be to set up. Nothing but money. That was my bonus for this year.
Piece of cake.