If you snowcamp, what tent do you use?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

SSSdave, do you still pack all of your photography gear in also with the tent? I guess if it gets too heavy, you can make camp and work out from there.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

hikerduane

I forgot to mention...If your unfamiliar with http://www.backpacking.net, check out the forums. There is a wealth of information on that site regarding the tents your looking at and peoples opinions of them (for example, see this post http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showt ... mber=77214
) . If you search "+4 + season + tent" you will retrieve a lot of info. There are some posts which contain a lot of information that may help in your decision. All the tents you mention are great. I would bet whatever you get you'll be happy.

Another comment on the akto - I'm about 5'11", and my personal preference is that is about as tall as I would want to be in the akto to maneuver.
Last edited by copeg on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Yes, hikerduane - I do need to get out for an overnighter in the snow. I keep thinking about a trip to Sequoia to camp out at one of the Lakes on the Lakes Trail. Maybe that will be my President's Day Weekend trip.
Randonnee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Randonnee »

For years I used the North Face VE-24. I still have it but find that it is too heavy too carry. My winter preference is a snow cave, it is warmer and requires carrying less gear.

However I do have a Black Diamond Megamid that I pitch using my ski poles, it is light weight, sets up quick and easy. For easy winter comfort I am sold on it. We have put 4 adults in it with room for gear storage and cooking.
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Trailblazer, I'm a member over there, I'll nose around some. I was checking out TT last night. Thank you all.

With my back, I hate to dig too much when I am supposed to be having fun. I get enough exercise at home after a snow storm, like last year in Jan. Every weekend for three weeks straight, blowing and shoveling paths and decks. I have considered a little the tarp approach.
earthwalker
Topix Newbie

Post by earthwalker »

I've used a Bibler Eldorado for 3 winters now. It's only used in winter, the rest of the time I use a TarpTent Squall2. The Eldo is bombproof, basically. Very easy to setup even in a blizzard, just stake down one corner (I use my ice axe) throw all your gear inside and crawl in and zip the door closed except at the bottom and erect the poles from inside. OK, setting it up from the inside isn't really EASY, but it's easier than setting up from the outside during a storm. The tent is spacious for one person and very cramped for two. I camped last year at Rock Creek with 2-up and it was a little too cozy for both of us. The tent has a very small footprint. I pitched in the middle of the SEKI Lakes Trail when I had punched fresh powder as much as I could stand for one day. I have camped in Oregon's Wallowas when it rained for days and I've never had any condensation problems. The tent has very good ventilation, just be sure to leave the top of the doors open (I have the 2-door). After 3 winters and 1 summer (it was my only tent the first year) I have had zero problems. There are no tears or holes or rips anywhere.

Now, after giving the Bibler sales pitch, I want to say that for snow camping I am very impressed with my buddy's MegaMid. It weighs less and for 1 or 2 people easy to pitch. If you want more room, even enough to stand up in, you can do all the snow shovelling to build you a palace inside but when he has done this, I just sit there and watch him work. I would have to have a base camp for days before I did all that shovelling. The MegaMid has stood up to the same weather that my Eldo has and for about half the cost. I'm thinking about getting one just for ski touring. Can't have too many tents, right?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

The Bibler tents are at the top of my list. The I and the Eldorado. A lady who is part of the group I have bped with has a Eldorado I think it is. I'm not in a big hurry which will give me time to sort thru all the options out there. I have the original Squall which I even used snowcamping last Spring in Desolation when about 8 of us went in for 2-3 nights.
StumbleBum
Topix Acquainted

Post by StumbleBum »

I use the Integral Designs MK 1 for all seasons. I've been very happy with it. It's advertised as a 2 person, but I use it as a solo tent.

- quick to setup/take down.
- stable in winds.
- have had no condensation problems.
- well constructed and good materials.
SteveM
Topix Novice

Post by SteveM »

Duane,

On New Years Eve weekend, I did a test on the Hilleberg Nallo 2. I found no bad reviews on it anywhere. Since it's now under 4lbs and $386 directly from Hilleberg, you may consider looking at it. It's a whole heck of a lot bigger than the akto, but not much more weight. For the extra ounces, it may be something to look at.

The link to my review is below. Don't know if it will work, but you can always cut and paste. I found no bad reviews anywhere on this tent.

http://www.summitpost.org/show/mread.pl ... t_id=13932

Also, there's a storm coming our way this weekend. I'm going to take it out again and put it out in the open to get as much of the elements I can possibly get. Hopefully a little more snow.

I'll be adding to my previous review when I get back on Monday.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Sitting at home, by the woodstove is one thing when you think a small, really light shelter will be find and another when you actually are in it, in damp or extreme conditions. Nice review, sounds like you fiddled with the tent enough to tweek it to function properly. I like the free standing Biblers, but they lack the vestibule. The Hilleberg tents are lighter, cheaper, and have more room or storage. A month ago now, the night a group of us stayed by Lake Winnemucca, we received 2' of snow. A good test for everything and everybody.

Well, like I said, I have time, especially now. I just got a WM Apache SMF, regular, 15 degree bag, it should come in around 2 lbs. 1 oz. or 2.:) It weights as much as my first down bag, a TNF Lightrider, 35 degree, down bag which has lost alot of loft, it may just need to be washed.