SPOT Info

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SPOT Info

Post by maverick »

Im interested if anyone has some in the field experience with this device.
Backpacker Magazine rated in pretty good, but Ive read other articles which
say the antenna is very weak and is not reliable except in the open skies
which kinda defeats the purpose of having it.
Getting a quick lock on some satellites on top of a ridge or peak is not an
achievement, but in a forest or canyon(gully) is a more likely place a person may
end up injured.
Im surprised they didnt get together with Garmin and use there high sensitive
receivers for optimal performance.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: SPOT Info

Post by The Other Tom »

Based on the info in this post........viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2644 and other reviews, I bought one. My son took it on a trip down the Rio Grande (steep cliff sidewalls) and it worked great. One thing, though, it's hard for me to tell if a signal really goes through. Most times it takes about 10 min to link up with the satellite and you wonder if you message went or not. I think if the message light stops flashing, it means it was sent, but I'm not sure about that.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Tom
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I've had a SPOT for a while now and I think it works great. The GPS rx is about the same as my Gecko 201 but not as good as my 60Csx. While I haven't had much opportunity to use it in the back country yet, I have run it thru its paces elsewhere.

In concept, the unit would be on continually as compared to switching it on only when needed. This also helps if you just want to poke the "okay" button as a status update once in a while without having to stop and fiddle around with the thing.

No doubt they company will improve upon the GPS rx in future years and likely reduce the total size of the thing.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I have only used mine in the desert and it seems to work fine. I leave mine on so I don't have to wait for the satellite. I use it mainly so SnowDude (and a few others) knows where I pull over to sleep (I'm ok), where I start hiking from (I'm ok), summit (I'm ok), and when I return to the vehicle (I'm ok). I just have to remember to push "I'm ok". I pressed the ok button once to waypoint a tortoise while on the road, driving away, and it worked. I'll try it in the trees next time I get out there.

the main reason I got it was because of the trip to Bat Mtn, when I couldn't drive out. I was ok, but no cell connection, and I was trapped by gullies and washes and couldn't find the road in the dark. I waited til morning, but by the time I drove out and got cell connection 2.5 hrs later, SnowDude had 3 friends driving out to Death Valley to look for me. I've come home early in the morning, but never missed work, so he was a little concerned. If I had a way to tell him I was ok, we could have avoided that. I got the SPOT the following week.

Hopefully I won't have to use the help or 911 buttons, but its less to worry about for the S/O by saying "I'm ok"
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

A friend of mine skied the JMT last month and it worked fine. He'd send an "ok" signal every day. Worked in LeConte Canyon which is pretty deep & narrow. He also had a prearranged code that if his wife saw a signal from one of the passes, that meant they were coming out for some reason and to meet them. Seems like a useful gizmo.

g.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

OH: PS. The Park Service at Rocky Mountain had a successful semi-rescue with one. Snowmobiler disabled at night. He used his cell phone to get help, but they couldn't find him, so he activated the 911 function. Rangers were able to find him that night in poor visibility.

g.