Tevas - Do People Really Hike in These ?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
beartooth91
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Tevas - Do People Really Hike in These ?

Post by beartooth91 »

Over the years, I've seen several instances of people hiking in the backcountry with Teva sandals. I know the Karnali Wraptor is supposed to be for trail hiking. I've always worn a stout backpacking boot, even for dayhiking (the last several years I've worn the LL Bean Gortex Cresta Hikers). Recently, I purchased 3 pairs of Teva sandals from Sierra Trading Post - a pair of the FI-2 sandals, a pair of the Volterra sandals, and a pair of the Toachi sandals. My main purpose at the time was to use them for stream crossings, around camp, or high country lake wading (fishing). But, can these sandals really be hiked in ?
For fishing reports in Montana's and Wyoming's Beartooth Mountains, go to the Beartooth Flyfisher Page at:
http://sharpei.home.bresnan.net/beartoo ... isher.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Tevas - Do People Really Hike in These ?

Post by gary c. »

I've always wondered the same thing. After a short time on the trail my consentration turns to scenery and not those little granite golfballs that make happy I have some ankle support.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I've seen people hike in them (Chaco's too). It looked to me like they were getting a lot of sand and pebbles between their feet and the sandals. That's too uncomfortable for me.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I use them for stream crossings and at camp. You have to have pretty tough feet to hike in them. I don't like sand and rocks between me and the Tevas so camp is as far as I get. Even then I'm always shaking the pebbles out.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

In The Backpackers Handbook, Chris Townsend says he does everything but winter hiking in sandals- I think if you're 99% on trail, they might be fine, but as soon as you leave the trail you could be in trouble.