Gear Review: Mountain Hardware Dome Perignon hat | High Sierra Topix  

Gear Review: Mountain Hardware Dome Perignon hat

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
User avatar

Gear Review: Mountain Hardware Dome Perignon hat

Postby cmachler » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:29 pm

I posted this review at http://www.mt-whitney.info but decided to post it here as well...

Just got back from a weekend on the homestead in Montana. I didn't do any hiking, but I got to use my new Mountain Hardware Dome Perignon hat: http://tinyurl.com/3axfxp

This hat is awesome. It's cut to fully cover the ears, so you don't need to pull and stretch the hat. The body is constructed of Polartec 200 fleece, while the earband is made of Gore Windstopper fleece. For the weight counters (unit of your choice) out there, the Dome Perignon weighs .14 lbs or 64 g.

I wore the hat in air temperatures of -5 to 15 degrees F, with windchills down to -25 or so. I also wore it in light snow, which it shed rather easily. Anything this hat covered never got close to chilled. In fact, "warm and toasty" describes my ears and head about 95% of the time. The other 5% was just warm.

As I said, I didn't get any hiking in, but I definitely got the heartrate up during the hours of shoveling and chipping ice. The hat seemed to breathe well, as I never got overheated.

The only negative aspect of the Dome Perignon is its tendency to give you the appearance of having a cone head.

See the hat in action here: http://cmachler.smugmug.com/gallery/3939812



User avatar
cmachler
Topix Novice
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby Timberline » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:51 pm

Hey there, cmachler,

Where in Montana, if you don't mind my asking. We have relatives near Bozeman, and I always enjoy whatever glimpse of Montana comes my way. Just curious; thanks for the pix. Makes me remember how cold "cold" is!

Nice hat! :nod:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
User avatar
Timberline
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Prineville, Oregon (Since 7/15/13)
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby cmachler » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 pm

I was in Lewistown. My aunt lives in Bozeman. The whole state was cold, but Central Montana and the Bozeman area got the snow. Most other places were pretty dry.
User avatar
cmachler
Topix Novice
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Postby Snow Nymph » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:11 pm

We were talking about the conehead look last weekend. Me, SnowDude, Tomcat, Moose, Ranboze and probably a few more of us have the MH Dome Perignon. Love the hat, but have been forgetting to take it with me. Its in my bag now! Thanks for the reminder!

[img][img]http://thumb10.webshots.net/t/59/759/1/75/25/2188175250056554790nTsVHk_th.jpg[/img][/img]
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison


http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
User avatar
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Barbara & Mammoth Lakes, CA
Experience: N/A


Return to Outdoor Gear Topix



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests