Washing a tent??

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Washing a tent??

Post by gdurkee »

So, ummmm, has anyone ever washed a tent and have advice? You'd think an old salt like me would know to pull out his tent immediately after a rainy trip.... . Alas, there's a bit of a mildew problem.

I'm thinking Ivory liquid or woolite on gentle cycle?? Other thoughts??

Thanks,

g.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I've washed mine before by laying it out on the ground and hoseing it off. For difficult areas, I used my hand to "scrub". That did the trick for my tent. I guess you should start with the most gentle wash, and if that doesn't do it, move to a more rigirous treatment. Other considerations:
What's it made of and how do certain chemicals affect that material ? A google search migh help with this question.
Contact the manufacturer for suggestions ?
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I've heard not to use dish soap. Use a gentle carwashing soap instead.

The story says dish soap has special grease cutters designed to break down and rinse away fats and oils found in food. The water repellency chemicals used on tents may be affected by the same grease cutters. So use car wash soap instead. They are made to be to nice to automotive finishes and clear coats, which are chemically similar to fabric water repellents.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
asabat
Topix Novice

Post by asabat »

dave54 wrote:I've heard not to use dish soap. Use a gentle carwashing soap instead.
Maybe use whatever soap is recommended for a raincoat of the same material.

I did wash my backpack in the washing machine once - but with no soap - to get all worst of the grit off it.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Washing a tent??

Post by gdurkee »

Thanks all! From the North Face site (which maybe I shoulda checked first...):

C. How do I clean and store my tent by The North Face?

Proper cleaning and storage of your tent will help prolong its life. Before storing your tent, set it up and inspect it. Look for any damage, pulled seams, broken zippers, holes or mildew. The North Face tent warranty covers pulled seams and broken zippers. Other types of repairs, such as patching holes or tears can be done for a reasonable charge.

Once you have inspected your tent, clean all dust and dirt marks with a sponge, mild soap, and tepid water. Rinse with a clean wet sponge. Allow the tent to dry thoroughly before dismantling it. Do not soak your tent, and never machine-wash it. Store the tent loosely, in a large cotton sack or in a cardboard box, in a cool, dry place.

Be sure to wipe down your poles with a sponge or towel. Salt can corrode them, and dirt on poles stored with your tent can contribute to mildew growth. Be sure the shock cord in your poles is dry before storing. (top)
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Actually, I'm much more concerned with how to get my tent dirty. Grumble, grumble, grumble... Hasn't seen the light of day in more than three years! :angry: