Pack Size (Capacity)

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Jeremy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Pack Size (Capacity)

Post by Jeremy »

A question to all of you. How large of a pack do you recommend for 5 to 7 day hikes? By size, I mean capacity (ci's). The reason being I'd like to move to a somewhat lighter pack than what I currently have. But it seems like capacity has a direct relation to weight.

Currently I have a Gregory Keeler, which is 4,800 ci and about 5-1/2 pounds. I also have access to my wife's pack, a Gregory Reality, which is 4,300 ci and about 4-1/2 pounds. Heck, maybe these are just fine...

Your thoughts?
Are you ready boots?
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles2
Topix Acquainted

Post by Charles2 »

I use a Mountainsmith Phantom for solo trips up to 12 days. It has an internal capacity of 3200 ci and weighs 3 pounds on the nose. It is comfortable with up to 30 lb and reasonably comfortable to 35-37 pounds.

My base gear weight for 3-season mountain travel is 16 to 17 pounds; what I wear adds another 2-4 lb. So, that leaves me a maximum food capacity of about 20 pounds unless I'm feeling like suffering. Since I normally carry somewhere around 1.5-1.75 lb of food per day that gives me 10 to 14 days of travel with a pack of around 35 pounds for the first few days (I also carry a small reserve tank around my midsection). I can stretch the travel a few days in high summer if I leave some of the clothing behind. My base weight then is about 12-13 pounds. If a bear cannister is necessary then I subtract a day's food.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

External frame pack is the way to go for heavy loads. I have the original Kelty Radial Frame pack that they came out with in the late 70's or early 80's I think...their first major redesign since the original Kelty frame pack. I don't know what the capacity is but I believe it is in the 5500 range. Packs in the 4000 range seem small for a week long trip. Of course, I am the type of guy that carries heavy packs all the time.