Sleeping Bag Cover?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Sleeping Bag Cover?

Post by krudler »

I like to sleep under a simple tarp, or even just wide open under the stars alot. This is great and all but many times, esp. in the fall, I get the condensation/ice on the top of the sleeping bag in the am. The bag is down and while this isn't killing me it is somewhat of an annoyance.
Is there some kind of product that is like a simple slipcover type thing or something to alleviate this problem? Without having to go to a full bivy, because I am not interested in carrying too much extra weight/bulk. I've poked around but don't seem to see anything like what I think I would be looking for...
Or maybe there is just a trick to this that I am missing to minimize the condensation?
Any tips appreciated....thanks!!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
Wanderer
Founding Member

Post by Wanderer »

Might be a little more than you want, but I have an OR Sleeping Bag cover, it's pretty similar to my OR Advanced Bivy but without the bells & whistles :). I bought it a number of years ago for the very reason you mentioned, I wanted some basic cover for my sleepy bag when sleeping under the stars in case of rain, also keeps my sleeping bag cleaner.
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Thanks - but although I can find references to it on the OR site, I can't find the product and the link from the search doesn't seem to work right. Argh!!
Upon further investigation it would seem that maybe the MontBell UL Sleeping Bag Cover is just the thing I would be looking for....but at $160+ its awfully pricey. :\
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

I have a simple nylon shell that North Face made many years ago. It is rectangular and has a zipper on the right side. The bottom is slightly longer than the top.

I have one like it in the campmor catalog. I would bet it is also on their website.
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

I'll check out Campmor - thanks!

Randonnee, I love that quote :D
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

Thanks krudler- I thought how true when I first saw the quote.

I got to looking and here is the link:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... uctId=7638
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Thanks! That's the one I saw on there, it seems like the thing (and the price!) but I wasn't sure if I wanted another full pound in my pack.
Oh well, I have all winter to think about it.... :)
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Just an idea, but you could buy something like a simple nylon sheet (ie 2 yrds of something like 1.1oz DWR nylon, weighs less than 3 oz and costs less than 20 bucks) and use it like a blanket or wrap yourself up like a burrito (or if you know how to sew a little, enclose it like a bivy). I've had similar problems as you on occasion and have yet to come up with a happy solution (bivy's and the like kind of work, but still sometimes leave some condenation between the bag and bivy - and on occasion more because they don't breathe as well as nothing - perhaps a highly breathable fabric like a light DWR nylon will overcome this). One thing (I guess you could call it a trick) I've learned (which is easier said than done) is to camp above valleys or basins. Moist/cold air always seems to settle in valleys, around lakes and streams and in Basins. Just climbing a 50-100 feet above bottom seems to help - but of course I just love camping close to lakes and streams.
tarzanseal
Topix Newbie

Post by tarzanseal »

I use a old plastic shipping cover from a twin mattress. At the corner strip mall is a mattress store. I just ask them from time to time for a new one.They just give them to me. hope this helps