New good gear = preliminary review comments...

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: New good gear = preliminary review comments...

Post by tahoefoothills »

Thank you for posting your new gear report. I like the way you think and you have given me some new ideas. Posts like this add to the body of knowledge (individual and collective) and this is one of the great reasons I like to read highsierratopix.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

@tahoefoothills Thanks for the thanks!

I have another "perfect and cannot think how to improve" item = the REI Flash 22 Day-Pack.

- It's light and has a foam cushioning core that can be removed to make it even lighter = 12 oz. total.
- With the foam removed it folds and packs into my main backpack really well.
- Is super comfortable with much better straps, etc. than the smaller Flash 18 - which I did not like.
- Has all the internal and external pockets that one would require.
- Has a "lid" top (with zipper pocket).
- Can carry enough day-hiking stuff like jackets, rain gear, water, food, etc. for 2 people.

= Five Stars in my book!

Michaelzim
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

Over the years my Bearikades have torn up the Dyneema (DCF) of my packs. I guess there is a reason Zpacks switched to Gridstop, and is now also using ROBIC.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

@CAMERONM "Agreed" re the ability of Bearikades to chew material!
My Bearikade Weekender on past 10 day trip could indeed have done some damage to my new ULA Catalyst pack if I had placed it horizontally (see prior posts here about that). I had it vertically with a T-shirt as a cushion for the top lid rim on the near-side (against my back) of my pack. The rim soon made a hole in the T-shirt so I switched it out with an old PakTowel (much stronger chamois type material) and that did the trick.
I do wish the Bearkikades were more rounded at the top as their capacity is huge (Weekender anyhow) and their lighter weight is great.

M.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

My sleeping pad is an eggcrate type, about 3/4" thick. I wrap that around my Bearikade Scout, and then secure it with a thin strap. Then the whole thing slides down inside my old Zpacks cuben fiber pack. I've been carrying that for about ten years now, and nothing is damaged.