Moment DW stakes

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Moment DW stakes

Post by paul »

For those who have a Tarptent Moment DW: how do you like the Easton stakes that are supplied for the end guys? I would especially like to hear from any users whose experience is in the Sierra, as to pentration on the typical Sierra soils, holding power, can you pound on these things with a rock, etc. And if you have replaced with different stakes, please tell me why and what. Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Moment DW stakes

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I always brought more stakes. Theoretically, you can set it up on 2 stakes, but any non-self standing tent will collapse if one of the stakes pull. I always take longer stakes for the ends and then backed with the stakes that came with the tent. And I also staked all four corners. The stakes that come with the tent work fine, as long as the soil is not duff or saturated sand, in which case they are not long enough to stay in. I did break a stake the first time I used it years ago when I bought my Moment. You can't force them into rocky ground. You can gently pound with a rock.

I now have the Notch, which sets up on trekking poles. This tent needs 4 solid stake-outs and again I back up, so take a minimum of 8 stakes. You certainly can use rocks for back up too. I just find carrying a few ounces in more stakes is so much easier. I have camped in places this year where there were no nearby suitable rocks!

Over the years I have collected many tent stakes. I really like the channel stakes of the same length. I also have some old MSR tent stakes that are solid metal squares- the work well when trying to get a stake in rocky ground. Right now, with the Notch, I take 10 stakes of various designs and lengths.

Here is a photo of what I am using now.
tent stakes_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

I have a Moment DW and use the Easton's that came with it and 2 MSR MIni Groundhog stakes for the sides if it storms. This setup works for me even when the wind picks up.

I used to bring 4 extra needle stakes to stake out the 4 corners of the bathtub. After a while I just stopped using them so now I leave them at home.
20210608_154408 (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I used to be a minimalist about tent stakes. My husband has always valued convenience over weight. Since I got the Notch, I have come to appreciate his view. The Notch is a bit hard for me to set up by myself (I liked the Moment better) and the extra time it takes to go hunt for rocks makes the whole set up too time consuming. In the big picture, the few ounces of a few more stakes is not that significant.

For the first time in all my backpacking, the smaller stakes I brought would not stay in the ground on my Yosemite trip this year. I even dug down before I set them. I think it was because I was camped on sand, still saturated from recent snow melt, and the sand had no holding capacity. Both the round stakes and channel ones pulled out. And there were NO rocks nearby. Also happened another night on forest duff. I think the Notch puts more stress on the stakes because trekking poles have no lateral rigidity, whereas the Moment's single hoop pole does.

Although the Notch does OK in wind, the Moment was much better. I wanted to buy a new Moment but at the time it was on backorder for a few months. Both my Moment and BA Copper Spur bit the dust the same time so I did not have the time to wait.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

In the big picture, the few ounces of a few more stakes is not that significant I totally agree Daisy. I always carried a few extra stakes when i used a Tarptent Contrail. It was fiddly to pitch and extra stakes came in handy. Although I'm much better at it now when I lend it to a friend :).

I've heard great things about the Notch. The head room is supposed to be much better than the Moment DW and it's lighter.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I've had my Contrail for maybe 15 years. I found that the Easton stakes had a tendency to have the heads come off if they were pounded on. I had to crush the heads of two of them on my third trip. They still work but bought 4 ground hogs and only use the Eastons to stake out the corners of the foot end and sides.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

What's wrong with plain titanium wire stakes?
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I've used titanium wire stakes and they go in nice and easy, but for high tension spots, as with the ends of the Moment, I don't think they have the holding power of a fatter - and longer - stake. Mainly I am curious if Moment owners have been happy with the Eastons, especially as to pounding with a rock as I have heard of the heads coming off under that sort of treatment and I am prone to pounding with a rock.
And yes, I would expect to bring some additional stakes. I just ordered a Moment, so I will see how it sets up once I get it. Seems like 2 more for sure, for the bottoms of the pole, and maybe 2 past that, so that I could guy out the mid-points on the pole to really make is solid
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

I'm happy with my Eastons. They hold well. I do use a (smallish) rock to pound them in occasionally but I'm pretty easy on them. I've had no issues.