Climbing/Backpacking Gloves

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Climbing/Backpacking Gloves

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You do not need serious rock climber hand protection (they often tape their hands) for 3rd class. You are not jamming hands in cracks. What you need is something to keep hands warm yet allow you to feel the rock and grip. Personally, I never had cold hands while 3rd class climbing in the summer in the Sierra because you are moving enough to keep warm and any glove is more of a hinderance than help. You do not want too much bulk on your hands. I have done Cloudripper- and it is an easy 3rd class hardly requiring use of hands. Russel could be colder. Just be sure any glove you wear allows you to flex hands and grip well.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 am You do not need serious rock climber hand protection (they often tape their hands) for 3rd class. You are not jamming hands in cracks.
This is true, but some hand protection can be nice. Granite is abrasive for those with office worker hands. :P
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

I have taken to wearing light work gloves, of the stretchy fabric/coated palm variety, primarily as sun protection but also I find they keep some moisture in my skin. Normally my hands get so dry in the Sierra summer that I start to get cracks in the skin. this is especially bad when I'm off trail and putting my hands on the granite now and then. Also nice to have some protection from the abrasion of that same granite.
I've used a lot of different brands of these at work, and there is a wide range of breathability in the palm material. Some are not breathable at all, and get pretty clammy. the ones I like currently are these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/West-Cheste ... /301059326
Not much in the way of warmth, but that's not what I want.