Tarptent vs North Face Talus 2 tent... opinions?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Tarptent vs North Face Talus 2 tent... opinions?

Post by DAVELA »

I've got 3 tents....a Rainbow Tarptent which is super light but not freestanding and a pain to anchor on hardground.It can also be sweaty inside and it's claustrophobic for anything but sleeping.Then I have the NF Talus 2 which is roomy and freestanding but heavier,bulkier-much of that due to the fly.Can you get a lighter fly for it?
Lastly I have a Eureka Zephyr solo which is tiny,heaviesh but freestanding.More for car camping.

Im trying to figure out if I should get rid of some of this stuff and which ones since i :sleep in the car when car camping;rarely backpack; mostly snowshoe in the Sierra.
I want to do a backpack after labor day and I don't know if I trust the tarptent in the Sierra with rain or surprise snow.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tarptent vs North Face Talus 2 tent... opinions?

Post by rlown »

I carry a double rainbow tarptent. I've set it up with trekking poles just to test it out, and if you have your stakes, you pull the corner guy wires out with the stake on it and put a rock or two on it. (we have rocks :)
I had 30mph gusts up near Vogelsang one night and the tent was just fine, and it was sideways to the wind. Vestibules were open to let the wind blow through.

Can't take a nap in the tent if it is in the sun, but I really like that tent.

I've been rained on, snowed on, hailed on in that tent and I was very content.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Here's another vote for the double rainbow tarptent
Last edited by The Other Tom on Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

I have single rainbow so it's a lot less room than the NF.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;