Lightweight Freestanding 1P Tent Recommendations?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Emmablob
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Lightweight Freestanding 1P Tent Recommendations?

Post by Emmablob »

Does anyone have thoughts on what solo freestanding tent has worked well for them? I’ve been looking at these:

Marmot Tungsten UL 1P 2lbs 9oz $319
-I haven’t seen too many reviews for this one and it SEEMS like what I’m looking for ($60 less for 3oz more weight seems like an OK trade off to me). I just don’t want to get burned by quality since I’m not seeing too many people review it

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 1P 2lbs 6oz $379.95
-review seems to point to tent not holding up well in wind, though probably an issue with all the tents in this list
-seems like a really popular choice but expensive. Is it worth it?

Tarp Tent Rainbow 1P 2lbs 2oz $319
-cons seems to be that the fly is attached to tent so you can’t remove it for stargazing (or whatever other reasons), no escape from dust flying in when windy due to nature of tent material (though, would this be similar for the other tents since they are mostly mesh?), slippery floor
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Lightweight Freestanding 1P Tent Recommendations?

Post by paula53 »

The Tarp Tent Rainbow is a one piece tent. Condensation is to be expected. Most backpackers carry a towel for that. I use the Cooper Spur HV Ul 1 person. It is a fantastic little tent. It handles moderate winds and rain well. It needs to be fully staked out however in bad weather. To me, it is worth the price.
Emmablob
Topix Novice

Post by Emmablob »

Thanks for the feedback! I think I’m between the copper spur and the tungsten.
Matthew
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthew »

Hi, https://sectionhiker.com/ does good reviews of tents, so I'd look there for comparison reviews of these and many other tents. He tends to distinguish freestanding and other tents, so there should be good information. Note that you need two trekking poles to make the Rainbow free standing; the tent has special fabric holders to accommodate trekking poles.
I've got a Tarptent Rainbow (2 person) but haven't used it yet. The floor isn't too slippery, particularly when silicone stripes (using tarptent's seam sealing service or you can add these) are on the floor. The ground sheet can be cinched up so that less dust, water droplets etc are able to find their way in. I'm very impressed with the tent, although I admit to not having slept in it yet. The doors have very nifty extra fabric, so that you can keep them open, but maintain a broad rain cover. This should prevent much of the condensation.
About watching the stars: I have yet to be satisfied with the view of stars looking through mosquito netting. I'd suggest that getting out of the tent in the middle of the night (a pee break) is superior to watching the stars through netting. This is not my deciding factor in tent buying. If stars are the primary factor, I'd buy a bivy sack, sleep through the mosquito rush hour with the netting in place, then open it and have an unobstructed view late in the night. With a bivy sack, I've taken star photographs without leaving my sleeping bag.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Let me ask a basic question. Why do you want a tent, as opposed to a shelter? Why do you want freestanding, as opposed to something to be staked out? What do you consider to be lightweight?

I've been using a shelter that weighs 9.8 ounces, plus a 2 ounce floor, plus 2 ounces of stakes, plus one trekking pole.
Emmablob
Topix Novice

Post by Emmablob »

Matthew wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 pm Hi, https://sectionhiker.com/ does good reviews of tents, so I'd look there for comparison reviews of these and many other tents. He tends to distinguish freestanding and other tents, so there should be good information. Note that you need two trekking poles to make the Rainbow free standing; the tent has special fabric holders to accommodate trekking poles.
I've got a Tarptent Rainbow (2 person) but haven't used it yet. The floor isn't too slippery, particularly when silicone stripes (using tarptent's seam sealing service or you can add these) are on the floor. The ground sheet can be cinched up so that less dust, water droplets etc are able to find their way in. I'm very impressed with the tent, although I admit to not having slept in it yet. The doors have very nifty extra fabric, so that you can keep them open, but maintain a broad rain cover. This should prevent much of the condensation.
About watching the stars: I have yet to be satisfied with the view of stars looking through mosquito netting. I'd suggest that getting out of the tent in the middle of the night (a pee break) is superior to watching the stars through netting. This is not my deciding factor in tent buying. If stars are the primary factor, I'd buy a bivy sack, sleep through the mosquito rush hour with the netting in place, then open it and have an unobstructed view late in the night. With a bivy sack, I've taken star photographs without leaving my sleeping bag.
Thanks for the information! I saw the reviews from section hiker, thanks for that! I see that he did a review of the copper spur mtn glo version... I would think the same comments would apply to the HV UL1. I guess I’m just having a hard time finding reviews on the UL version of the marmot tungsten but have found reviews for the non UL version.

Stars are definitely not going to be the deciding factor, but I thought I’d throw that in there because someone commented on that in one of their reviews.

Hope you enjoy the TT double rainbow!
Emmablob
Topix Novice

Post by Emmablob »

bobby49 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:27 pm Let me ask a basic question. Why do you want a tent, as opposed to a shelter? Why do you want freestanding, as opposed to something to be staked out? What do you consider to be lightweight?

I've been using a shelter that weighs 9.8 ounces, plus a 2 ounce floor, plus 2 ounces of stakes, plus one trekking pole.
I’m looking for a freestanding tent sub 3 lbs. Not ultralight by any means considering how many lighter options there are, but I’m finding that many are not freestanding. The ones I am finding are around this weight. I’m used to freestanding and it’s where my comfort level is at this point...I’d like to stick with it as I try to find something lighter and maybe change it up somewhere down the line.

That sounds like a great setup!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

I understand the effectiveness of a freestanding tent. About the only time that I value freestanding is when I am snow camping.

If you experiment with a non-freestanding tent, the first time you erect it, you'll have problems. But then if you learn from that, it becomes better with subsequent use.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

The Exped Mira 1. Weighs in at 2lb-8oz but I would call it semi free standing. In Ducy basin last month I thought it was going to be a disaster in the wind but when I got it all set up, it shed the wind well enough. All 15 and 20 Denier fabric, excellent zippers too, but you do have to contend with 3 poles and 4 pegs on the setup. I got it for tight spots with lots of buried granite. Top notch construction, much better when I compare it to my BA Flycreek Platinum 2 witch is actually a couple of ounces lighter.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Emmablob
Topix Novice

Post by Emmablob »

bobby49 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:59 pm I understand the effectiveness of a freestanding tent. About the only time that I value freestanding is when I am snow camping.

If you experiment with a non-freestanding tent, the first time you erect it, you'll have problems. But then if you learn from that, it becomes better with subsequent use.
good to know that’s the only time you had issues with a non free standing tent. I definitely plan to experiment down the line :) so much to learn.