Sleeping pad R-factors

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sleeping pad R-factors

Post by Snowtrout »

Robow8, thank you for your comments. Our current pads are a 4.8r (now 4.7 under the new testing) and thought the s2s 4.2r would be good but that thought process changed with them now being labeled as a 3.5r. Have to do some more investigating since the last thing I want for either of us, especially my wife, is getting cold when the temps drop into the 20's.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Take this with a grain of salt; I have never used a quilt. I hesitate to compare sleeping warm on the same pad, in a sleeping bag and then a quilt even if they have the same temperature rating. The hood set-up on a sleeping bag is warmer than an open quilt. Even if laid on, the bottom of a sleeping bag still offers some insulation in that it sort of wraps around you, for less air gaps. I would think that if you are a wiggly sleeper, a quilt would let in cold air now and then, whereas a totally cinched up sleeping bag rolls around with you.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:45 am Take this with a grain of salt; I have never used a quilt. I hesitate to compare sleeping warm on the same pad, in a sleeping bag and then a quilt even if they have the same temperature rating. The hood set-up on a sleeping bag is warmer than an open quilt. Even if laid on, the bottom of a sleeping bag still offers some insulation in that it sort of wraps around you, for less air gaps. I would think that if you are a wiggly sleeper, a quilt would let in cold air now and then, whereas a totally cinched up sleeping bag rolls around with you.
+1

John
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

So I called S2S and asked for more info about the Either light insulated and the 3.5r rating to see if I had purchased the right Christmas gift for my wife. Was told the pads around 3.5 should be great pads for use from late May to early October in the Sierra when using an appropriate sleeping bag. People and team members have used them hiking the PCT, JMT, CDT, etc, through all sorts of conditions and been fine. Also told to not use them on frozen ground, snow, or recently thawed ground without a foam pad underneath. As for comfort, if you like a pillow top or soft bed at home, buy the Ether Light. If you like a firmer mattress, buy the Comfort Light. I asked about any new pads coming out for for 2020 and told nothing new for this year.

So my wife should be happy. Now I'm waiting for sale time to buy myself a new pad. :D
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Snowtrout wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:12 pm So I called S2S and asked for more info about the Either light insulated and the 3.5r rating to see if I had purchased the right Christmas gift for my wife. Was told the pads around 3.5 should be great pads for use from late May to early October in the Sierra when using an appropriate sleeping bag. People and team members have used them hiking the PCT, JMT, CDT, etc, through all sorts of conditions and been fine. Also told to not use them on frozen ground, snow, or recently thawed ground without a foam pad underneath. As for comfort, if you like a pillow top or soft bed at home, buy the Ether Light. If you like a firmer mattress, buy the Comfort Light. I asked about any new pads coming out for for 2020 and told nothing new for this year.

So my wife should be happy. Now I'm waiting for sale time to buy myself a new pad. :D
I really like the pad. It's wider and thicker than my XTherm. It's more comfortable. And I really like the Pillow Lock system. So I'm leaning on taking a ZLiteSol along when temps call for it.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:45 am Take this with a grain of salt; I have never used a quilt. I hesitate to compare sleeping warm on the same pad, in a sleeping bag and then a quilt even if they have the same temperature rating. The hood set-up on a sleeping bag is warmer than an open quilt. Even if laid on, the bottom of a sleeping bag still offers some insulation in that it sort of wraps around you, for less air gaps. I would think that if you are a wiggly sleeper, a quilt would let in cold air now and then, whereas a totally cinched up sleeping bag rolls around with you.
I've only used my quilt twice. With pad straps, it really helps to eliminate drafts, and keep you on the pad. I toss and turn all night; like a rolling pin. In a mummy bag, I get all twisted up. Not so with the quilt