inReach or Spot X

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Gonehiking
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

inReach or Spot X

Post by Gonehiking »

Has anyone had experience comparing messaging on inReach devices(s) and the Spot X. I've had various issues messaging and sending tracking points with an inReach Mini. Some of my backpacking friends use the inReach Explorers and they worked better when I was having trouble. So I am considering getting the Explorer+, but was also looking at the Spot X mainly because it's much less expensive and the basic Spot X Flex plan is a much better value than the inReach Freedom Safety plan. But if messaging is worse (and by extension, the SOS function), it would be worth it to get the inReach. Also, the X has the onboard keypad, which for my needs would negate the need for a phone for texting (I carry a "real" camera anyway).
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: inReach or Spot X

Post by rlown »

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 14#p152214

If you're almost dead, I don't see the value of a keypad.

Just make a decision.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Absolutely the Inreach Mini, except if you plan on texting a lot AND not carrying an iphone, then the Explorer. Superior signal to SPOT, based on all the preset messages I sent with a SPOT 3 that had difficulty going through, and general consensus. BTW the mini is perfectly capable of texting without the iPhone, it is just more awkward.
Gonehiking
Topix Newbie

Post by Gonehiking »

rlown wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:43 pm http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 14#p152214

If you're almost dead, I don't see the value of a keypad.
The keypad would be useful for regular texting when you're not almost dead.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

my opinion.. If you are regularly texting, you're not getting the full experience on your trip because it is a distraction. The "I'm ok" post in the evening should suffice.
I see my device as emergency only, or the let family know I will be late (avoids a SAR deploy.)

Another angle with the texting concept on these devices: As our group fishes, we generally get separated beyond walkie-talkie range. The text for the inreach works for that. Only problem is you have to get other members of the group to have the device and turn it on.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

I have the SE also and use the rec plan 10 texts/mo. I send a morning and night "I'm okay" (free/unlimited) This summer the 3 trips I made I sent a total of 2 texts. It was like Russ said about separation in a non-cell area (mine was to a cell number not another inreach) for a person driving up to the Tioga area to find our camp spot where we did not have cell service .
BTW I've had it 3 yrs now and it's never let me down in as far as a failure to send or receive a message. The InReach uses the Irridium bird where the spot uses the globstar. The longest I've waited to send or get a message was about 5 minutes. I run a small business and need to be available if necessary as a lifeline so to say. Not "getting away from it all" but allows my freedom to try. And, as a PLB/SOS if necessary although I didn't make it more than a days hike away from my truck this season; but solo 2 out of the 3 trips.
Gonehiking
Topix Newbie

Post by Gonehiking »

rlown wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:10 am my opinion.. If you are regularly texting, you're not getting the full experience on your trip because it is a distraction. The "I'm ok" post in the evening should suffice.
I see my device as emergency only, or the let family know I will be late (avoids a SAR deploy.)
I completely agree. I mentioned "regular" as opposed to emergency texting.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I use the Mini to coordinate dates and times with my shuttle drivers, respond when my father goes into the hospital, and inform my wife when to expect me home. I realize this is less than the authentic wilderness experience I used to have, but there you go...