Fishing Pole And Reel Tips Spin casting

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
mikehike
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Fishing Pole And Reel Tips Spin casting

Post by mikehike »

I lost my eagle claw backpacking pole and reel while attempting to troll in a hobie/kayak. Now I am looking for a new Backpacking pole and reel for lure fishing, seems hard to find any good sporting goods stores besides all The Marts and sports authority. Any suggestions? something online maybe?
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I feel for you. I work in Nevada during the week and there is nothing here, a Big Five and Walmart, that's it. I could stop in Reno I guess. I saw an aluminum rig a guy who joined some of us on a bp trip a month ago had, China made, Fast and Light I believe. Real short pole, light weight. I get disappointed shopping online for a reel, it takes so much time looking for the lightweight model. I want to get a Shimano, the store in Mammoth last summer had sold the last reel that he recommended so I used what I brung. I should have wrote down the model he said to get. Good luck.
Piece of cake.
DJG
Founding Member

Post by DJG »

That is a bummer, but now you get to shop for something new! I've caught plenty of fish on the 5.5-6 foot two piece rods I bought at a Big 5. I've also got a couple of old 4 piece Eagle Claw rods, they all work fine. I think you could find something reasonable at Big 5, Walmart, Sports Authority.

Trouble is I would have a problem not being able to feel how fast or slow a rod is by buying online and it can be a personal feel thing. Sometimes a good return policy can alleviate that fear. Online you could try Cabelas (cabelas.com or something like that), or Bass Pro (basspro.com or something like that) and Boaters World (boatersworld.com?) has online gear too that is light enough. They all should have a wide variety of quality and prices to choose from.

I like fishing light line so a 500-sized spinning reel works good on 2-4 pound line, even 6 pound. The more ball bearings the better and the more money it will cost. I use Shimano Sedona reels with no problems.

I live in southern California so there is plenty to choose from around here without going online. My biggest suggestion would be to not go too cheap as that always seems to get you what you pay for.

Good luck!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

During the time I lived the Bay Area (46 yrs before 2005) the place I'd also go for backpack fishing supplies was Tri City Sporting Goods in Fremont. I noticed that you are in Clayton, so Tri City won't be that much of a road trip (down the 680). To this day Tri City has the best selection of backpack spinning rods I've seen. They don't always display them in their cases, though, so you may have to ask the staff to show you the rods. Recently my wife's and my old Eagle Claw Trailmaster II's simply wore down from gazillion trips and casts. I purchased new 6'6" Eagle Claw Trailmaster III's at a local store in Fresno (Herb Bauer). The Trailmaster III is a sweet rod. It is a much lighter rod than my old TM II and it took awhile to figure out what that meant in terms of how sensitive it was. When I caught my first 15 incher on the new rod I thought I had a two footer on.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikehike
Topix Regular

Post by mikehike »

Thanks for all the tips, I am very partial to Eagle claw that was my first back packing pole since the I started backpacking in the 70's.

I found some feeback on the Eagle claw trail master III, looks the way to go.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0013034116645a.shtml

I keep hearing shimano reels are the way to go, I used to be a big Daiwa Fan. Which reels do you guys recomend?
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

mikehike wrote:I keep hearing shimano reels are the way to go, I used to be a big Daiwa Fan. Which reels do you guys recomend?
For reels I like something really rugged more than something that is superlight has lots of features and is vulnerable to damage. My all time favorite is the "old school" Penn ultralight (I don't know the model name but it is black with gold trim). It is very ruggedly constructed (check out the bail--none of that rail thin stuff that gets bent all too easily) and smooth as silk. Last I checked it was still made and it was available at several places, including Tri City (where my wife and I purchased ours). My wife still uses her Penn. I accidentally launched my Penn spool into Ralston Lake in Desolation back in about 1997 and I made an emergency cheapie replacement purchase of a Quantum reel (don't know model name--it's no longer made) at the Raley's at the Y. The Quantum's been so nice I've been using it ever since. I still haven't ordered my Penn replacement spool.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I still advocate a 4-piece, Eagle Claw Trailmaster II...6 1/2 ft...with the metal ends as the best rod for the buck, still found occasionally on eBay for around $40 - $50...lifetime guarantee. Couple this with the old dependable Penn SS 420...a winning combination.

On that note, I have 4...but, up at Saddlebag, while we had lunch, we left all four in the back of the truck and some basshole backed into them...broke the end segments on 3...was heartbroken. Called Eagle Claw...they told me to send them in...we shall see what the lifetime guarantee actually means...sent off today.
Tried to just send in a picture of the broken rods for end-segment replacements...here is the letter and reply.

Dear Eagle Claw,
I need your help…bad.
I was up near Yosemite over the 4th of July weekend, with my good friend Stan and my 15-year-old son Bryan, and another kid too.

We are avid backpacker/ spinner type guys, fishing exclusively with 6 ½ foot Eagle Claw Trailmaster rods and Penn SS 420 reels….(2 or 4-pound line.) Anyway, after a great day of fishing Saddlebag Lake, (photos enclosed), we threw the rods in back of the pickup, and went about weighing in the 4 ½-pound Alper and other fish seen in the photo. (I was using a 3/8 ounce Z-Ray…white and pink…backside of the lake….second largest trout caught there this year…lol))
Afterwards, while we were in the café/ bait shop having lunch, some basshole backed into the rear of Stan’s truck…minor truck damage to his F 250…but somehow, snapped off the tips of 3 out of four rods…just the last, smallest end sections snapped off…leaving no note or anything.
Can you PLEASE help me replace the 3 broken end sections?...smallest ends only.
I am more than willing to pay for this service…I know about the lifetime guarantee but dang it, I need those rods ASAP…lots more fishing days this summer!...gladly pay for such fine products. One of these I have been using each summer for 25 years now.

The rods broken are:
No. TRRU249 – 6 ½ ft. (my buddy)
PK 200 – 6 ½ ‘
No. M4TMS – 6 ½ FT
In addition, I also need the end cap to one of the aluminum tubes…the screw end…somehow; I lost it on one of my other adventures.
If you give me the price for all four pieces, I will call you with my credit card number immediately…seems the easiest way....gladly pay shipping too.
Thanks so much for any assistance.
Mark
Sacramento, 95833

Dear Mark,
As per our warranty; The ENTIRE rod, or rods, must be returned to the address listed below with a letter of explanation. We cannot send out rod sections, as variances do occur during the manufacturing process, making it impossible to ensure a proper fit of any sections required for replacement. Once the rod, or rods, has been received, we will evaluate the damage, and do what we can to help solve the issue at hand. If there are any charges, be it for repair or complete replacement, you will be notified via a mailed invoice prior to repair or replacement. Please allow a sufficient amount of time for us to receive the damaged product, assess the problem and handle the repair or replacement, or send a notification invoice.

Mail to:
Eagle Claw
Attn: Rod Repair
4245 E. 46th Ave.
Denver, CO 80216
Mountainman who swims with trout
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Mark, what a shame about your rods! It's a little concerning about how much time "sufficient time" might be to these people.

Mark, I've got the pole and reel that you had recomended to me how many years ago....I'd be happy to send it down to you to use until you other poles are repaired and returned. It would be a shame if the "mountain man who swims with fish" couldn't go fishing! :)

Really....I don't mind, and if you'd like to use it, you're welcome to it. I'll learn to fish someday but it probably won't be this summer.

Rosie
mikehike
Topix Regular

Post by mikehike »

$40.00...... lifetime guarantee....... and they actually respond to your letters, Eagle Claw sounds like the good buy.

In case any of you wondering about our desolation cabin link below, our place is located in North Upper Truckee and due to the wind direction the Angora Fire missed us by about 400 yards. The intensity of the burn in some areas reminds me of the Oakland hills fire, its a miracle no one was killed. In the areas where they have been doing controlled burns the last 3 years, the forest looks good and most of the tree's survived.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Brookie...
Just so happens, I have a spare spool (or three) for the older Penn SS 420 reel. I am always looking to snag one when and if one comes available, and is reasonably priced....(never can tell.)
If you need a replacement...for your Penn, I think I paid ~ $10.00. Drop me a line if interested.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout