Bearikade Scout - Approved Bear Canister?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Bearikade Scout - Approved Bear Canister?

Post by paula53 »

I was under the impression that the Scout was legal to carry. I was told a few years ago that all Bearikades were approved.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

That's probably the real answer.... They are all the same except in length after all.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

AlmostThere wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:18 am That's probably the real answer.... They are all the same except in length after all.
And I would think that the shorter the carbon fiber tube, the stronger it would be.
BESON
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by BESON »

I completely agree that it makes no sense for the larger ones to be approved and for the Scout to not be approved.

For what it's worth, though, the call back I got from a SeKi person this morning said the same thing - the Scout isn't on the list and it's not approved as such. To me this seems crazy, but that's what he said. Perhaps it's the sort of thing where official policy at the desk and practice in the wilderness don't align, which seems to be what people have reported. I could certainly imagine a ranger who answers calls saying it's not on the list and it's a no go as such but a backcountry ranger who'd actually be doing the enforcing would be most content to see a hard-sided canister that looks just like the other Bearikade models, if they even go so far as to require it being removed from the backpack.

The differing reports, though, leave me feeling torn - I'd like to get as light a can as possible yet I don't want to risk a ticket or run in with a "by the book" ranger.
Brian
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Conversation with a TM Ranger last year...All Bearikades are legal Yosemite.
Mountainman who swims with trout
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

So far it is established that no person with a Bearikade model anything has ever been hassled by a backcountry ranger, or maybe even a permit station ranger. It is quite possible that some poorly trained individuals, like maybe volunteers with the Yosemite Conservancy (permit reservations), may have given out bad information.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

How much are you trying to carry? A Bare Boxer is 275 ci and weighs 26 oz. The Scout is 28 oz and 500 ci. Bare Boxer is smaller in volume, takes up less space in the pack. The Scout (can confirm from experience) makes a better container with which to ice down post hike beer tho...

I have used the Bare Boxer on 4 day trips. The first day does not have to go in...
BESON
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by BESON »

AlmostThere wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:11 pm How much are you trying to carry? A Bare Boxer is 275 ci and weighs 26 oz. The Scout is 28 oz and 500 ci. Bare Boxer is smaller in volume, takes up less space in the pack. The Scout (can confirm from experience) makes a better container with which to ice down post hike beer tho...

I have used the Bare Boxer on 4 day trips. The first day does not have to go in...
Good question and thanks for putting that one on my radar. Most trips will be about 3-4 days, maybe stretching to 5. I'll have to do some more playing to see what I think I'd need in terms of space.
Brian