Winter camping, get away with only staking fly?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Winter camping, get away with only staking fly?

Post by hikerduane »

Knocking idea around to not use stakes for the tent body, only SMC stakes for the fly after picking up a four season tent. Has door, fly configuration I've been looking for. Heaviest tent I will have used for any season, Big Agnes Copper Spur Expedition, 5.5 lbs. Weight savings is only gonna be a couple oz. leaving a few stakes at home, of course if some decent sticks were handy could utilize those. Also figure for later Spring, leaving fly and those stakes needed for it at home. Just not liking my BD Hilight I've had for 5 or 6 years or more. Have not fully opened up the contents. Send it back? :)
Duane
Piece of cake.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Winter camping, get away with only staking fly?

Post by paul »

I would use the stakes for the body, because with them you get the body pitched tighter and that makes the whole thing more stable so it handles wind better.
Also - in all my 40 years of snow camping I have never once said to myself during a storm,"Boy I wish I had brought a lighter tent" - especially in the real winter, as opposed to spring snow camping.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I don't head out if a big storm is here or on the way, may catch the tail end and if I have energy left after clearing walks etc. around my place. The group I used to go out with, we've been hit a few times with heavy wind and snow. At least the wind kept the 2' of snow off my 3 season tent by the Carson Pass, but deformed the poles. Just knocking around thoughts on how I can shave a few oz. Working on a combo of stakes, lighter for the tent body, 11" SMC for the fly. Or.................only bring one heavy vintage stove like a 111 or 11, Windpro II for backup. :) I only have 30 to 35 years of snow camping, mostly solo, self taught. Our group bailed by My. Shasta one year due to worry about getting snowed in at the parking lot, 6" snow an hour.
Duane
Piece of cake.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Smaller/lighter stakes for the body ought to work; although having them all the same has convenience value, especially when tired and the snow is blowing. I use the 9 1/2" SMC and have had good luck with them; I even have some shaved down for spring use in firm snow, I cut a taper on the ends in the midst of a gram-shaving frenzy, they still work fine but might be iffy in softer winter snow. I think MSR has stakes the same shape as the SMC's but 7000 series alloy and thinner material (SMC are 6000 alloy), so they should be lighter but just as strong. Supposed to be .74 oz each as opposed to 1 oz for the 9 1/2 SMC, I am thinking about getting some of those and shaving THEM down.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Weighed my SMC stakes. 1.4 ea. I'll look into those MSR ones, thank you. Don't see enough gear when by myself. Keep this up I'll shave half a pound off in no time.
Duane
Piece of cake.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Seems like you're talking about shaving your toothbrush to try and offset carrying a giant tube of paste.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

A little here and there, isn't going to be much. At least with snow, I can quit hauling water for dry camps. I have about 20 spots within 4 miles of home I can walk to, but most of those have no water. Most savings will be leaving the fly at home in the Spring and/or bringing only one heavy vintage stove. Might be time to bring a alcohol stove instead. My Optimus 11 and 111's are over a couple lbs.
I had some friends on a 12 item bp trip into Lassen maybe four years ago now, just to see what could be trimmed to the bone. Have done a minimalist trip also with them, cook in a fire, tarps or plastic sheeting for shelter.
Duane
Piece of cake.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

To reduce gear weight for winter camping, I always found the solution was in taking a good shovel instead of a tent. Assuming that there is sufficient snow depth, a snow cave is nearly always more comfortable.

I used to lead beginner snow camping trips. We would get to our destination. Then I told everybody that they needed to dig a snow cave, even if they intended to sleep in a tent.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Too much work.
Hard on my back.
Not enough snow.
Shovel enough snow at home.
Duane
Piece of cake.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Skimping on anchors is one place I won't compromise for winter conditions. Rather than traditional staking, have you considered using shorter, lighter stakes (maybe Ti), or even fabric, as deadman anchors? From the sound of it, to find weight savings, your stove and fuel systems are a better place to start. Bigger stoves, pots, and extra fuel for melting snow add up quickly. If your altitude isn't that high, and you can keep your cartridges warm, you might even consider isobutane and a pocket stove, or some sort of system like Jetboil and a hanger. You're potentially dealing with shaving ounces, if not pounds, instead of grams by altering stakes.