UV sleeves!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

UV sleeves!

Post by Satchel Buddah »

My discovery of the fall: UV sleeves from bicycling gear.
Perfectly complements my beat up 15 year old merino T shirt - it now becomes a long sleeve shirt in an instant, without having to drop my pack or fuss.
They give some warmth on frozen mornings and sun protection when it is blasting in the afternoons, weights a few grams and takes very little space. They slide in a side pocket and can be deployed without hassle in a jiffy. They are also pretty darn cheap to buy.
This one is a keeper, now part of my canon gear for 3 season backpacking.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: UV sleeves!

Post by freestone »

Satchel B....I agree with you on the sleeves. I got some to protect my arms while working in the garden because my skin tears so easily now but liked them so much I also took them on my last backpacking trip. I see they also have an insulated version and may even get a pair for the calves when wearing shorts. Thanks for sharing.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Just one more pair of things for me to misplace. I wear long sleeves all the time at high elevation. Don't take anything with short sleeves.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I was going to get some for backpacking years ago. I think the ones I was eyeing were still called arm warmers. They weren't quite as thin and weren't patterned to be a fashion accessory. But when I realized they wouldn't displace anything in my pack, that they'd just be another item I'd have with me, I decided to do without.

I wish I could take off my stretchy leggings faster. That always involves stopping, taking off the pack, the shoes, the shorts or pants, then the leggings, and finally reversing the whole thing. At some point I'm almost always balanced on one leg trying to avoid dragging anything through the dirt.

If the Chippendales dancers were backpackers they'd probably would have a solution for this sort of thing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I wear long sleeves all the time at high elevation. Don't take anything with short sleeves.
Same here. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ditto.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

i wear long sleeved button up shirts. Sleeves down to start the day. As soon as it heats up, the sleeves get rolled up. Down for rest breaks if the wind is blowing. Don't like the feeling of having arms (and legs) covered more than necessary when i'm walking. Makes me an outlier, i guess.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Layering makes sense, but I would prefer to remove from the outer layer, inward. I end up freezing in the morning, because I simply do not want to have to get dressed twice (shoes and gaiters removed and put back on) just to take of long johns before hiking. I always end up with a pant leg dragging in mud or dirt. I am seriously considering size zip, down pants, but they would probably not be the most comfortable to sleep in.

I too am a long-sleeve baggy shirt advocate. Arm sleeves however may be a good way to add insulation and particularly wind protection. I really think that is why bicyclists use them- more for wind protection. Maybe the hard core bike racers use them to cover their hairy (air drag) arms!

You probably could make arm sleeves by simply cutting off the feet on knee-high socks and them hem the cut with stretchy binding -a cheaper solution than bicycle gear, which is very expensive.